What's new

New guy just saying Howdy

I have been reading the forums for about 2 months ago and have found alot of great info here. I started using DE razors about 4 months ago after reading an article about it on the "Art of Manliness" website. Why didn't I think of this years ago? I shave my head as well as my face and what a difference it is using the old school methods. I thought that the headblade was the ticket until I tried this, I'll never go back, it's worth the extra time.

I do have a question for you gentlemen. Have any of you gotten your teenage sons into DE shaving? My oldest is turning 17 next month (he lives with his mom on the opposite coast) and I thought of maybe setting him up with a nice forgiving Aristocrat, badger hair brush etc so that he can discover DE shaving at a young age. He shaves everday with the same razors we all used before we tried DEs. Not sure if he would be as enthusiatic about it as I am or am I just turning into an old fart that gets excited over nostalgic things that young people really don't care about. Any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks! -Mike

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't have any kids myself but someone will share for sure.

Welcome to B&B!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Got the Son-in-Law into wetshaving with a Blue Tip Superspeed, and a friend of mines Son into it with a Red Tip.
They are both really enjoying it.
I'd say go for it, it is certainly a better way to shave, and if he has the patience for it, it would be a great experience.
And something for you guys to share.
Get him signed up here and you guys will be chatting, even though your separated.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I would have thought it was cool when I was 17 shaving with an actual piece of machinery instead of a throwaway piece of plastic that you just drag around your face. Now I'm 47 wishing that I had thought of this a long time ago, especially during those 24 years in the Navy. It was tough getting a good clean shave with those multi blades that give you a 5 o'clock shadow at noon. Do you think a 40's Aristocrat would be a good starter for a young guys face? It seems pretty forgiving (compared to my BRW Mastiff, '58 Fatboy and Merkur Vision) and its "GOLD"

Welcome to B&B. My one and only child is my daughter, and she's 11. We'll cross the shaving bridge in a few years if she'd like to learn a better way to shave, her legs that is. :wink2: :w00t: :001_tt2:

Welcome to B&B!

I know the topic of introducing DE shaving to sons has come up before, so those threads may compliment whatever experiences people chime in here with. I did a quick search and found one thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128587. I think there may be others, though.

I think the choice of razor depends a lot on the kid--some may be drawn to more modern-looking razors and brushes. That said, the Aristocrat is a great razor. But if you give him the best right away he won't have any incentive to buy dozens more! :tongue_sm

Still, that would be a heck of a razor for him to have thirty years down the road and think, "This is the first razor my dad gave me way back when."

Welcome to B&B!

I know the topic of introducing DE shaving to sons has come up before, so those threads may compliment whatever experiences people chime in here with. I did a quick search and found one thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128587. I think there may be others, though.

I think the choice of razor depends a lot on the kid--some may be drawn to more modern-looking razors and brushes. That said, the Aristocrat is a great razor. But if you give him the best right away he won't have any incentive to buy dozens more! :tongue_sm

Still, that would be a heck of a razor for him to have thirty years down the road and think, "This is the first razor my dad gave me way back when."
Thank you for pointing out that thread, I'm not really savvy on forum navigation. It looks like a lot of those guys are in the same boat with their kids. I'm pretty sure that my boy would like the modern look of a gold Merkur Future but have the feeling that he would shred his face the first time out and not try it again. I hear those have a learning curve, I know that my Vision does. I figured an Aristocrat because it has some "BLING" to it but its hard to hurt yourself with . As for him buying dozens more.... that would probably be me doing that, then sending them to him to play with.

Last edited:
Give it a shot. Just let him know you get the razor and equipment if he doesn't like it. Maybe a pure badger brush for $20-30, and a mug from the local Target or such, and maybe some cream to start and see how he likes it. If he doesn't you have a few more options in your own shave den.

Welcome. You could always concoct some exaggeration with a line like, "Your beard will become too wiry for those cheap cartridges. Start learning real (man's) shaving now."

Another angle is some younger guys I know avoid mainstream marketing and if your son is like them he may want to avoid what everyone else is doing.

Enjoy!

Hello, I am new too. I am gonna set my nephew and son (both 15 this month) up with VDH kits. My son is gonna get a black handled tech my nephew is gonna have to use whatever my brother In law decides is best.

Last edited:
It's a great site isn't it? Plenty of good intel here. Hope your son and nephew enjoy the DE's. Hope my son does too. Now if I can get another good deal on Ebay like I did on my first Aristocrat....

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I would have thought it was cool when I was 17 shaving with an actual piece of machinery instead of a throwaway piece of plastic that you just drag around your face. Now I'm 47 wishing that I had thought of this a long time ago, especially during those 24 years in the Navy. It was tough getting a good clean shave with those multi blades that give you a 5 o'clock shadow at noon. Do you think a 40's Aristocrat would be a good starter for a young guys face? It seems pretty forgiving (compared to my BRW Mastiff, '58 Fatboy and Merkur Vision) and its "GOLD"

The Aristocrat is a great razor, no doubt.
Generally, a less expensive model is preferred when you don't know if the user will actually, er.. use it.

P.S. You should check in to the Veterans Thread, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54960&page=18
and PM a mod and ask for a Veterans Tag by your user name.

Top Bottom