What's new

Could I use the Dishwasher to Clean and Sterilize

Could I use the Dishwasher to Clean and Sterilize my DE Gillette Tech razor.

The dishwasher does a pretty good job on the forks and spoons. They come out looking pretty nice.

Is there a downside that I haven't considered ?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The dishwasher does not get hot enough to "sterilize". If your machine has a sanitize cycle it boosts the temperature but again not sufficient to sterilize.

Mike

Don't even think about it.

The edges on straights are very fragile.

Might as well throw it away if you want to put it in a dishwasher.
The tossing about from the water, and the heat, combined with the caustic soap, will chip and rust a razor in no time flat.

Could I use the Dishwasher to Clean and Sterilize my DE Gillette Tech razor.

The dishwasher does a pretty good job on the forks and spoons. They come out looking pretty nice.

Is there a downside that I haven't considered ?

At the risk of being labeled a germaphoble every vintage DE razor I have purchased goes in my wife's autoclave. She is a dentist and so I have access to getting a razor sterilized before I use it for the first time. Many use Barbicide® Disinfectant I have never used it but it seems like it would be worth looking into. "Barbicide is an E.P.A. (Environmental Protection Agency) registered hospital disinfectant for all salon tools and is used by thousands of salons and spas in the U.S.A. and Europe. It is germicidal, fungicidal, virucidal, and pseudomonacidal. It kills H.I.V. (A.I.D.S. Virus), herpes, ringworm, staph, and numerous other pathogenic organisms. Complies with OSHAs bloodborn pathogens standard. It disinfects scissors, combs, brushes and salon surfaces. Metals can be immersed for hours without rusting."

Because I have access to an autoclave I use it - I know any vintage razor is sterile the first time I use it. If you have a family dentist I would be willing to bet they would run your razor through the autoclave if you asked.

+1 on the Barbicide® Disinfectant. I got mine from a local hair dresser. Cost was like $6 for a 16oz bottle. It lasts for ever and works great. Although I use it for straights, I think it would do a good job on your DE's.

Ray

If you have a family dentist I would be willing to bet they would run your razor through the autoclave if you asked.

If you don't have access to an autoclave, an ordinary pressure-cooker will substitute and do the same thing. You can find these as low as $20 at a kitchen gadget store.

And when you're not shaving ... you can cook in it, too!

If dishes come out clean enough to eat off of, I would think a razor would come out clean enough to shave with.

and rusty and chipped enough to go right in the bin.

This is a piece of metal, just leave it in the sun for a day and nothing will live that was on it. (time + UV = dead nasties)

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT put a straight in the dishwasher.

The soap is caustic, and the turbulence will destroy the edge.

Please, do not do it. IF you are worried about germs, I will gladly send you an unused straight in exchange for any vintage blade you might consider putting in the dishwasher.

Heck, I'll even toss some custom scales on it.

There is no way I would _ever_ put my razors in the dishwasher, First off, The scales might get damaged, I dunno about you, but some of my razors are wooden scaled, I might trust myself with a toothbrush, tissue and a bit of soapy water, I would NEVER trust wood in a dishwasher, even if it says 'dishwasher safe'

Second off, Like others have said, Although your razor is 'just like' your kitchen knives in that it's made of (mostly) metal, are you willing to take the risk of a stray jet of water pushing it out into somewhere where the spinny arms of Doom are (I've had to pull knives out from there, there are fairly strong blasts of water in there) and smashing the edge to resemble an old breadknife? I certainly wouldn't

Seriously, Superstrong disenfectant, purified water and sitting in the sun would be MORE then enough to clean a razor of any bugs and assorted nasties, if you have stuff stuck to the razor that won't move with repeated careful dunkings, Grab an old toothbrush and use that, it won't hurt the razor quite as much as a heavy metal arm spinning at 30-40 RPM will if something goes wrong

Of course, youre welcome to try your way if you like, But I've had enough fun reparing paring knives and the like from over vigerous dishwasher, I'll stick to washing em by hand

Don't even put knives in the dishwasher. Hell I've only known one place that would even run CHEAP knives through the dishwasher (Stamped blade rentals with half-tangs and impact plastic handles). Generally anything that is metal and sharp should avoid the dishwasher. Look at my avatar. That's my face when I read Op's post.

Ahh, I see you're talking about a DE, not a straight. I'd assume you'd risk some kind of small component rust from parts not getting fully dry. Maybe blast off some plating? I don't know DE's too well. And as other's have said. Commercial dish machines have a sterilize cycle that holds temps at I believe 160+ for 30-60seconds. Home dishwashers typically don't do this and are not intended for disinfecting.

Last edited:
A vintage Tech has survived a lot worse than hot water being blasted at it, I think it'll be ok as long as it doesn't have any plating issues already.

Top Bottom