What's new

To re-scale or not to re-scale, that is the question.

Hello guys, recently I bought a nice Filarmonica Sub cero, is indeed a really nice razor, 8/8 so is heavy.
The only thing I don't like are the scales, it got some flimsy plastic scales, the blade is heavy so it feels really unbalanced. And also in need of re-pining. (the blade is not tight, I guess being a heavy blade it loosened the pins?)

So my question is, should I just re pin it, and keep the "filarmonica value"? or should I should have it re-scaled (If I do so, I'll keep the filys scales) so the razor is more balanced?

I know it sounds like an obvious question, but what do you guys think I should do?

Here are some pictures of the razor.

Thanks, in advance.

Ozzy_scl

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Most Fili stock scales are cheap, flimsy and horrible and don't do the blades justice. I would suggest to get it get it rescaled with a more worthy set of clothes.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. When removing the scales put some electrical or masking tape over the pin while you grind it off (dremel). Then use a punch to knock the remainder of the pin out. You may be able to get better advice thought the restoration thread. That way, you won't damage the scales when you remove the pin. You can always replace them if you so desire later.

Kind regards,

Be EXTREMELY careful if dremeling out the pins. Dremels can easily, and quite quickly get the pins super hot, which will melt those nice scales, rendering them junk.

I would suggest simply tightening up the pins in the current configuration.

If you want to remove that little "waist" or hourglass shape, try putting a pencil, or similar object to widen the scales out at that point, and then hit them up with a hair dryer for a bit to heat and re-set them.

I think the original scales look pretty sweet on there.

My two cents is that if at all possible things should be kept original. The only time I replace scales is if they are broken and even then I try to repair them with epoxy. So in the case of your Filly I would not rescale.

I'm guessing that the bigger issue is the off balance that these scales offer the Fili, I'd have to disagree with everyone else who say "keep it original for the sake of originality" and suggest you rescale it, it doesn't have to be a crappy job, Heck, if you have a bit of forethought, you can get someone like JohnC to create something so stunning that you would be proud to have the razor hanging on your wall as a display peice as well as a everyday shaver

yeah, I understand the school of thought regarding the "keep it original" but that only works if the scales aren't a detriment to the shave, I don't hear too many people say "keep it original" when its a NOS Wapi in the stainless scales, as those are unbalanced (apparenlty) also

Also, would like to say, SWEET FIND! awesome looking razor, I'm guessing she shaves as well as she looks, despite being a little unsteady and unbalanced:thumbup:

Rescale it but have Max do it. Ask him to mimic the original scales and you'll be set!
By the way, that's the most beautiful Filarmonica I've EVER seen!

That is a beautiful razor. But it you don't like the scales, I would definitely rescale so you can enjoy shaving with it more.

Yes, if you don't like the scales, change them. It is your razor, and its not like it is the last one in the world.

my vote is also in the re-scale camp, especially in this case because the Filly scales are so cheap. most folks who do re-scaling can do something to maintain the period.

Thanks guys for your replies. Yes as mentioned before, the main issue is the off balance.
Just to give you an idea, the blade itself feels very close in weight to a Fatboy, and the scales are just a few grams.

I have shaved only once with it, and is a great shaver and very easy to hone.

I will have it re-scale, I'm in London, so probably I'll talk to Steve (the invisible edge) or of any of you know someone else, I'll be glad to know.
I don't think is such a bad thing to have it re-scaled, I mean is not like I'm going to send it reduce to like a 6/8 or something like that.

I apreciate those who offered to re-scaled for me, and I'll keep them in mind. Nowadys is easy and safe sending things using insured services.

I'll post some pictures once the job is done.

regards,

Pablo.

Pablo, if you're in the UK then it might be worth contacting Neil Miller. I've not yet bought anything from Neil but the endless wealth of information he has given me in regards to straight razors means I will soon. From what I gather he excels both at his craft and his customer service.

A possible compromise would be to back the scales with some stiffer material (say, thin sheet of aluminium or nickel) and use that to balance the blade, it'd keep the appearance 'right' for all those "keep it original" purists, and solve the Balance issues, However, this is of course, if you Really Really Really want to keep the razor looking factory.

Just a suggestion, Someone with a bit of skill with the re-scaling process would be able to offer more ideas on how to do this sort of thing. Though honestly, I'm thinking that bad boy would look Awesome in some sort of natural scales, (say, a rich coloured wood, doesn't have to be shiny ebony, but the choices are endless, heck, you could also try to source ivory for the job)

Pablo, if you're in the UK then it might be worth contacting Neil Miller. I've not yet bought anything from Neil but the endless wealth of information he has given me in regards to straight razors means I will soon. From what I gather he excels both at his craft and his customer service.

Yesterday I was in Neil's website, he has some nice scales. I haven't contacted him or another person yet.

I have bought hones and pastes from Neil, and he's very nice, items are very well packed and arrive quickly.

A possible compromise would be to back the scales with some stiffer material (say, thin sheet of aluminium or nickel) and use that to balance the blade, it'd keep the appearance 'right' for all those "keep it original" purists, and solve the Balance issues, However, this is of course, if you Really Really Really want to keep the razor looking factory.

I didn't think about that, although it may make the scales too fat (I mean by adding an extra "layer of scales") unless some heavy material is used to balance the scales.

Just a suggestion, Someone with a bit of skill with the re-scaling process would be able to offer more ideas on how to do this sort of thing. Though honestly, I'm thinking that bad boy would look Awesome in some sort of natural scales, (say, a rich coloured wood, doesn't have to be shiny ebony, but the choices are endless, heck, you could also try to source ivory for the job)

I was thinking about mailing some people and explain, as you say they might have better solutions to this.

One thing is for sure, I want to keet it old school, as you say some rich coloured wood, or something like that. this blade deserves a nice set of scales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom