What's new

Protecting your Spine

Greetings to everyone on B&B! I was recently bitten by the bug to the point that I took a few days of PTO from work to scour the internet, B&B in particular, to learn everything possible about my new hobby. I bought a beautiful Dovo with some gold trim on the spine, and before I take it to the hone, I have one question for those of you in the experienced category: How do you protect the trim on the spine when honing? I've watched all the videos done by the experts, and it seems like if I were to do that with my new razor, the trim would be scratched, or at least rubbed off to oblivion. Is honing more gentle on the back of the blade than I'm thinking? I've read posts until my eyes felt like they were glued open, and though I found loads of valuable information, I couldn't find anything on this specifically (which may be a sign that it's not really much of an issue?) Any input is greatly appreciated!:001_smile

It will come off in seconds unless you protect it from the hone. The usual technique is to run a strip of electrical tape down the spine, wrapped around the sides of the blade down into the hollowing. For a 5/8-7/8 size razor one strip is usually wide enough to cover both sides of the spine, but for an 8/8 or larger you may need to run a strip of tape down each side of the blade.

It will come off in seconds unless you protect it from the hone. The usual technique is to run a strip of electrical tape down the spine, wrapped around the sides of the blade down into the hollowing. For a 5/8-7/8 size razor one strip is usually wide enough to cover both sides of the spine, but for an 8/8 or larger you may need to run a strip of tape down each side of the blade.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for clearing that up and saving my blade!

Top Bottom