What's new

Sensitive skin? Thick beard? Read this.

Guys,

I'm a 25 year old with Italian and German heritage. Needless to say my facial hair is very thick/coarse. My entire life I've never been able to shave two consecutive days without ruining my face, so I thought I'd give wet shaving a shot. Even after a month of DE shaving my face was better but my neck was still hit or miss - if I got a close shave it was at the expense of ingrown hairs and razor burn.

I figured it had to be my technique so I focused on angle, angle, angle.

It wasn't my technique.

This morning I just said to hell with it and loaded up a Feather blade and started shaving. Guess what? No irritation in any way, even ATG. I suppose all these years everything I've been using just simply wasn't sharp enough to cut the hair without ripping it up and destroying my face.

So, while ymmv, I strong encourage anyone with thick hair and sensitive skin to honestly consider giving a Feather a shot.

Feathers are a good blade. Like many other blades, the razor in which they are used determines their effectiveness. I like Feather blades a lot because, like you, I have sensitive skin and coarse facial hair. However, don't be afraid to experiment with other blades in other razors; they can give a superlative shave depending on the combination.

Though Feathers are a good blade, I have found Bic's and Gillette Yellows to be maybe a tad better. There are plenty of blades out there, and each blade will work differently on each face.

Good prep is perhaps even more important. Softening the beard and getting it ready to be shaved is probably the best was to handle thick, coarse hair. Even with sharp blades, my beard will fight with my blade unless it has been prepped well.

So get a good prep routine, make a good lather, get a blade that works well for you, and watch that angle and pressure, and all should go well.

If your prep and lather are good, don't be afraid to try other blades. You have to try them for yourself. Just because others say a blade is bad, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it. That so called bad blade just might be your #1 best blade. You won't know for sure until you use it. Blades are cheap enough so try as many as you can get your hands on. Give each one a fair shake, at least 5 or 6 shaves, and keep a record of each. If you get 2 bad shaves in a row from one blade, can it and try another of the same blade. If the 3rd shave is just as bad then you know that blade is not for you. Good luck, and have fun exploring blades. :wink2: :001_tongu :w00t:

Top Bottom