What's new

So I finally got it!

So I finally got the perfect shave down. Jojoba oil mixed with Avolon Organics non lathering cream as a pre shave, face lather Tabac, and Merkur open comb with Astra blades. But I have a complaint. It takes too damn long. I often have to do a good 8 passes to get BBS. Granted, it is irritation and razor burn free, as well as smooth as hell, it just consumes a lot of time.

Next step, a Slant! What do you guys think? Will this cut down on the passes and time. I plan on keeping everything else the same. I figured it would not hurt to try. I am going to order a 37C as I like the shorter handles. I have heard many people say how the slant just mows down everything in a simple 2 pass shave.

Holy cow, 8 PASSES! Are you sure there's a blade loaded? If it took me 8 passes to get a smooth shave, I would look like Rip Van Winkle

Seriously though, If you are making 8 passes to get a smooth shave, I would take more time in prepping your skin. Shave after a shower, use a hot towel on your face, let the pre oil/shave cream sit on your skin for a few minutes. Just get your beard as soft as possible before you shave. It makes a HUGE difference.

I would also try a different blade, maybe a Feather or IP.

Keep us posted.

I knew I would get some odd looks on this one. But yes, 8 passes with no razor burn and perfects BBS finish.. I have tried feathers as well. I have an incredibly thick beard. I will try to prep it longer and let the oil soak in. Maybe I should continue trying different blades....I actually put in a new one for every shave. Besides feathers, what are the next sharpest ones? I have used feathers, but it did not cut down on the time. More help please!

Just a thought..... I get the best shaves, smoother and closer, with the second and third shaves on the same blade. You might try that, it might make a difference. Larry

I'm not so sure this is a blade problem as much as it is the razor or maybe even technique. Merkur open combs are quite mild in terms of aggressiveness. I use Astra blades exclusively and find them quite sharp (and yes, I've tried feathers). In fact, I use them in a Merkur OC and find I can get near BBS in way less than 8 passes.

As everyone has pointed out, 8 passes is a lot. For me, it's 3 passes and touchup and I call it a shave. Regardless. Sometimes it's really close, other times less so. On the days when it's not so close, I start thinking about what was different.

I agree with others that trying different blades is probably the next best step.

LOL! No joke. I have started a thread in the past about my super thick beard and got some great suggestions. But it is true, my beard is abnormally thick/course.

Where can I get some Kai blades??????

call in the big guns...slant or GEM.

Dude, you're a werewolf.

I'm not so sure this is a blade problem as much as it is the razor or maybe even technique. Merkur open combs are quite mild in terms of aggressiveness. I use Astra blades exclusively and find them quite sharp (and yes, I've tried feathers). In fact, I use them in a Merkur OC and find I can get near BBS in way less than 8 passes.

I'm kinda with drewmac on this one...If you've given feathers a try...with no change what so ever...it might be time to consider adjusting some other things. Yes, prep...it REALLY does make a huge difference. And looking at some more aggressive razors as well.

Refer to the wiki: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

Hope this helps:wink2:

I would try focusing on prep and considering a more aggressive razor. The slant might work for you or if you want an open comb look into an old Gillette open comb - some of those are supposed to be quite aggressive.

And if you don't get results you like with that after a few weeks, consider learning how to use a straight razor.

Takes about 25-30 min. It is a damn good shave when I am done, just time consuming though. So I took EVERYONES advice. Yesterday I posted a wanted ads for some of the "sharper" blades out there and I got several generous responses (as usual) from kind members sending me some new sharp blades to try. I also ordered the sledgehammer slant.:w00t: On top of this, today, I got a good deal on a PDP soap from Sueto. I am also trying to pick up a Mama Bears soap I have a wanted as posted for. I am also going to try to work on the prep as many have mentioned. Hopefully a new combination of this stuff will cut down on the time. If not, I can always return to what I am doing now even though it takes some time. But then again, regardless, I have new toys to play with now.

Eight passes? Crickey, how long did it take you to shave?

Takes about 25-30 min. It is a damn good shave when I am done, just time consuming though. So I took EVERYONES advice. Yesterday I posted a wanted ads for some of the "sharper" blades out there and I got several generous responses (as usual) from kind members sending me some new sharp blades to try. I also ordered the sledgehammer slant.:w00t: On top of this, today, I got a good deal on a PDP soap from Sueto. I am also trying to pick up a Mama Bears soap I have a wanted as posted for. I am also going to try to work on the prep as many have mentioned. Hopefully a new combination of this stuff will cut down on the time. If not, I can always return to what I am doing now even though it takes some time. But then again, regardless, I have new toys to play with now.

Cool man, glad to hear it's working out!

Get that prep going...hot towel for a few minutes, pre oil, lather on for a minute or two...it will make a HUGE difference...prepping with water, cream and oil can actually change the physical composition of the hair and make it much easier to cut.

Top Bottom