What's new

why packaging says "do not wipe blade"

I'm always amazed that people want to wipe down DE blades between shaves. I've never heard of anybody wiping down a cartridge.

Mostly because they probably don't want you slicing your fingers open. It'll probably dull the edge too, but I doubt the manufacturers would see that as a problem. :wink2:

the thing is, some people say that id you dry your DE blades between shaves, they remain sharper for longer time, basicly giving you a shave or two more,

i think its bolony, but whatcha gonna do ? people will always do stuff to save a cent, so might aswell have a lawyer aproved messege covering you legaly,

"i cut my finger wiping the blade, im going to sue personna for a million bucks, hmm.. look at the blade dumbo..."

Whew! I was reluctant to click on this thread, as I thought I would be greeted by a mangled finger. But I had to click. One of those things I guess... lol

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The same reasons you can't bring fingernail clippers on an airplane, and Blow Dryers have a tag that says "Do Not Use in the Shower".

1. Litigation preventative
2. PR - "Don't blame us, look! we're trying!"

It's fine. I dry them all the time.

What's the first thing you do with a straight when you're done shaving with it?

Some carbon-steel SE blades will rust before your eyes if you don't dry them after use.

For a DE, wipe the blade the direct opposite of the way you shave - not lengthwise, which would slice about 1/8" off your finger - depending on blade gap, plus, cutting through your towel and finger would probably dull the blade. :001_smile

Naturally, you would have to do this one side at a time, just like you can only shave with one side at a time.

Or, you could remove it each time and pat it dry flat.

DISCLAIMER: Do not wipe blade.

I've only been tempted to wipe to get rid of the glue some blades have from packaging. Now I just use an old blade to "shave" it off. Or just leave it on.

Whew, I'm glad I saw this. I was going to wipe with the blade. This post has probably saved me a trip to the ER, loss of blood, some pain, and some HUGE embarrassment. lol. :lol: :001_rolle :w00t:

It's so that the makers are covered, if anyone from the shallow end of the gene pool decides to wipe their finger along the edge "to see what happens" :lol:

I either take out my blade and wipe it off on a towel (direction away from the edge) to remove any soap scum or hairs, or I wipe the edge with a Q-tip covered in rubbing alcohol

why?
clean the blade
kill bacteria
remove water to prevent rusting

Top Bottom