What's new

Sharper than feather?

Hi.

I'm starting to realize that my beard is tough and so far the only blade that works decently on me is the feathers. Is there such a thing as a sharper blade out there and what would that be? If not, could a slant be an alternative?

cheers

/Mikael

Done :)

If I don't shower before I can't shave and I've worked a lot on my lather. Getting good lather did a huge difference and with a fresh feather blade I now get a good shave. The problem is that after only one or two uses the blade is already not sharp enough.

I have tried T&H pre shave oil which I didn't think helped much but there may be other products out there as well?

I don't think such a blade exists.

Feather is about as sharp as they come.
Combined with a slant it's about as agressive as a DE will get.

Try a single edge razor, like a Gem or Ever-Ready. The blade might not be sharper, but it's much more rigid and that seems to help.

- Chris

FWIW, I can only get about 3 shaves from a Feather before a noticeable difference in shave quality. However, that is the sharpest blade that I have tried.

You could try a Super Iridium. On my face, they are very close to Feather sharpness but last about twice as long.
John at westcoastshaving.com sells them.

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I subconsciously was looking for a reason to buy a new razor :w00t:

I'll see if I can try the iridium or a single edge razor to compare with!

Try a single edge razor, like a Gem or Ever-Ready. The blade might not be sharper, but it's much more rigid and that seems to help.

- Chris

Good info. I just saw some original retro ads for the GEM and this was the punch line. I'd say this is worth a try.

A feather in a slant has to be awesome though. It would tear my face to shreds and I thought I had it tough.

The Cobra razor is supposed to be the sharpest; I can't personally confirm.

The Cobra uses shavettes. West Coast shaving sells them.

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I subconsciously was looking for a reason to buy a new razor :w00t:

I'll see if I can try the iridium or a single edge razor to compare with!

I don't have a thick beard but I do have a tough beard. I've actually had an electric razor hang off my face because it jammed and could not cut my hair. Ouch! I use a few types of razor blades in addition to the Feathers I have. Blue Birds blades worked well and so did the Astra stainless blades. However, the slant razor that I own (Merkur 39C) seemed to improve the shaving with the same blade. Also, increase the time your beard is wet as this will soften your hair growth. Finally, ensure your blade is completely dry before putting it away. I dip razor and blade in 99% isopropyl alcohol. This displaces the water which accelerates corrosion and has the side benefit of disinfecting your blade as well.

Last edited:
I have a coarse, thick beard & I can only get two good shaves from a Feather or any blade for that matter.

I've always needed really sharp blades, if not Feather, then it has to be a Gillette of sharper caliber such as Swedes (RIP) Yellows or Bleues.
Or the more rigid russian Rapiras.

Last few weeks I've found two things that works superbly on my face-fur.

First off, I tried out straight shaving, and wow, does it mow down those stubborn whiskers, even now, when my skills with the str8 is a bit from perfected, it works very nice, and that's with a full hollow, imagine what a 8/8 Wedge will do :w00t:

Second, I was fortunate enough to get to try the Worlds Most PIF'd slant.
It was right on spot. Even with a friendly blade like a RED IP it worked good, but with a Feather it became a virtual lawn-mower :thumbup:
I'll definitely buy a long handled Sledgehammer Slant in the near future.

My $0.02

The Cobra razor is supposed to be the sharpest; I can't personally confirm.

The Cobra uses shavettes. West Coast shaving sells them.

The Cobra uses Feather AC blades. Shavette razors use a variety of blades. West Coast Shaving does not carry the Cobra.

As far as I know.

- Chris

Yes! Another reason to try a straight (which is what brought me to B&B from the start) :w00t:

I feel some kind of AD starting here ...

I know you said you tried the prep avenue with regards to lather and pre-shave oil.........have you gone through the full "Kyle's Prep" including an initial lather and 1 or 2 hot towels?

Another thought would be your brush - for many people boar will give a more thorough scrubbing and beat up on those coarse hairs than a badger. Although badger seems to be "the holy grail", for some boar just works better.

Good luck!

I did try Kyle's prep but still think that a long warm shower seems to work better. I might look into trying to leave the lather on a while before shaving to soak up more water though :S

So far I've only used a boar brush so no problems there :001_smile

I know you said you tried the prep avenue with regards to lather and pre-shave oil.........have you gone through the full "Kyle's Prep" including an initial lather and 1 or 2 hot towels?

Another thought would be your brush - for many people boar will give a more thorough scrubbing and beat up on those coarse hairs than a badger. Although badger seems to be "the holy grail", for some boar just works better.

Good luck!

Top Bottom