What's new

What is the Best Shave soap you've ever tried.

I have not found any correlation between the price and the performance. Speick stick is cheap, has a great scent (at least to me) and is a top performing soap I find. La Toya stick or creme are also cheap and great shaving soaps. And the 'top dog' of them all is Tabac which <seems> perhaps a tad high at $15 for a four ounce puck but I have not been able to wear through mine in over a year (not exclusively using Tabac). For approx. twice the price, I think it lasts more than twice as long as Mike's natural soap for example.

Brian

Definitely has to be Proraso White for me. Great shaver and incredibly cost effective. Would love to try some more expensive soaps and creams but alas I am a poor university student.

"Best" is a tough call.

Tabac and Cella are perennial favorites for a good reason. They are excellent, and I could easily use them and nothing but them from now on if I had to.

My favorite artisan soap so far is probably a toss up between Barrister and Mann and Maggards.

I haven't tried Catie's Bubbles yet, or a few others that I want to try.

If I ever get the lather dialed in to where it is more stable, Mystic Waters may take the top spot.

It is the absolute best in terms of post shave feel, at least for me.

And I have never had a bad shave with it even when I have had to keep going back to the puck and recharging my dissipating lather.

RazoRock Mudder Focker. It's the only soap I own more than one container of. I still need to find an AS to pair it with though.

Since sliceoflife is the OP here, would it be obsequious of me to say IanS soaps???

I am not a paid shill (though I will accept and can be swayed by swag) nor has he put me up to this. That said, the two tallow soaps I have from IanS are great performers. I bought one and he sent me a freebie from his backstock. Even though he warned me that the freebie was losing some of its scent, they are both terrific. I have orange/lavender and lavender (this is the one that he told me was past its use-by date). Great value. Great slickness. Wonderful aromas. And, he's a nice guy with lots of knowledge and a sense of humor.

Other top soaps for me -- in no particular order -- from my somewhat limited experience:

Le Père Lucien (Vetiver Bourbon)
Jabonman (Ylang Ylang Pachouli Naranja; Tierra Hùmeda, Bresia d'Oriente (sp?) and Lavanda)
Mike's (Barbershop)
Cella (tub)
HTGAM (The Beach)
Panna Crema (Namaste)
Pré de Provence
Haslingers (sandalwood)

and, if you have the patience to mix your own while you shave, the Charles A. Roberts Hydrolast products do work exceptionally well.

I am eager to try MdC, Catie's Bubbles, QCS among others.

Last edited:
Definitely has to be Proraso White for me. Great shaver and incredibly cost effective. Would love to try some more expensive soaps and creams but alas I am a poor university student.
The white is the only proraso I don't get on with,i find it lacking in protection ,I have my only shaving scar from when I used the white soap,I love the red and the green though

Top Bottom