What's new

What is the Best Shave soap you've ever tried.

I have been on a soap testing rampage for the last 2 months and I think about the only 2 soaps I have left to try are Irisch Moos but its damn near impossible to find and Cella. Don't ask me why I haven't tried it yet because I really have no excuse. But after honesty testing just about all of the greats, including are artisans soap makers... as much as I HATE to admit it... the best soap I've tried is.... TABAC!

I have been on a soap testing rampage for the last 2 months and I think about the only 2 soaps I have left to try are Irisch Moos but its damn near impossible to find and Cella. Don't ask me why I haven't tried it yet because I really have no excuse. But after honesty testing just about all of the greats, including are artisans soap makers... as much as I HATE to admit it... the best soap I've tried is.... TABAC!

IMoos was hard to get in the states a couple years ago, but it's carried by a few vendors now. I know bullgoose has it.

IMoos was hard to get in the states a couple years ago, but it's carried by a few vendors now. I know bullgoose has it.

Ian, SIM was cancelled a few months ago and it's now officially back on "near impossible to get" status.
The B/S/T is pretty much the only purchase option now.

Hell I have 3 sticks I got back when it was impossible the first time and I was about to pass on two of em, might keep em now. Thanks for the warning.

Like many others, I own and use many very good soaps, a handful of superb soaps, and an even smaller number that occupy the top of the pyramid. If I had to choose only one as the best it would be Martin de Candre.

The best shave soap Ive ever tried by far is Mystic Water Lily of the Valley.
For those of you who still haven't tried it, you owe it to yourself to get your paws on this stuff.

From the ones I have tried & tested (which by all means is NOT an exhaustive list), I have found 2 particular Calani soaps and the scented MdC to be the best shave soaps I have used up to now.

Colgate (until it was discontinued. A great soap you could get anywhere for a buck a puck)

Now it's VDH Luxury (but after reading this thread I'm going to give AOS Sandalwood and MWF a try).

Last edited:
VDH Deluxe...

Why?
-Available locally. Walmart's price is $1.59 Walgreens is $2.50. I don't even mind the higher price as its still good soap.
-Lasts me 3-4 months/puck
-Can be microwaved for a few seconds at a time to form fit it to my Old Spice shave mug, and scents could be added if one so desired.
-Easily whipped up into more lather than you even need! :)

That said, I do have an Arko stick that was nicely sent to me along with a brush that I traded a recently purchased NEW for. Sure smells interesting, I might just give it a try today :) If I like the way it works I might keep a stick or two around. Its cheap enough :)

I'm not into the $10+ pucks of soap myself. Money that is better spent on aftershave and more vintage SuperSpeeds :D

Top Bottom