What's new

What is the Best Shave soap you've ever tried.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hmmm. I would have to say Martin de Candre, except I hate the scent. So the sample is all I'll ever use.

I have a half dozen favorites but to choose one it would have to be Queen Charlotte Green Irish Tweed, soft soap.

Finally made it through all 5 pages and some of you are off your ROCKER! It's friggin' awesome...

The Fat in my den. L'Occitane Cade has recently crept in...

I posted in this thread back in March that Tabac is my favorite soap. It still is one of my favorites and will always have a place in my den because it was my first shaving soap......but that was before I found Mystic Water soap.

Mystic Water wild lavender is currently absolutely dominating my den which includes MdC, MWF, Tabac and a lot of other great soaps. But I am sure if this thread pops up again in a couple months, there might be something else at the top. So many good products, not enough shaves in a week

Probably vintage Yardley in the wooden bowl from the 1960's.

However, I recently ran a test of shaving soaps (random listing): Yardley, VDH, Col Conk, Napa, Williams, and Oregon Trail

To my surprise the differences were not great. I got excellent lathering and shaves from all of them. I think lathering technique generally is more important than the product. Some brands are slightly more difficult to lather in hard water, but again the differences were not great.

My test results surprised me.

Do your own testing as you are the ultimate judge.

Palmolive Stick from Germany is a new favorite of mine.. ordered 6 for 2 bucks a piece. I love the scent and the shave is as good or better than any soap I've used, including Cella and RR. Razorock/Cella was my favorite until the Palmolive stick.

Probably vintage Yardley in the wooden bowl from the 1960's.

However, I recently ran a test of shaving soaps (random listing): Yardley, VDH, Col Conk, Napa, Williams, and Oregon Trail

To my surprise the differences were not great. I got excellent lathering and shaves from all of them. I think lathering technique generally is more important than the product. Some brands are slightly more difficult to lather in hard water, but again the differences were not great.

My test results surprised me.

Do your own testing as you are the ultimate judge.

That is one of my conclusions, that among many soaps the differences are a matter of small degrees. A favorite soap of mine has for a while now been Susie's Bubble and Squeak. Her soaps seem to require a bit more water, but once you have the art down to the science, the results are pleasing. Very slick, creamy lather for a very low price. Used it this morning with a fairly aggressive Gillette New and still feeling the BBS.

I used Trumper's creams for years, then tried Tabac and finally discovered Cella, which is pretty much all I ever use these days.
Love the scent, love the lather.....brilliant!

Haven't tried that many, but Irisch Moos stick so far. When the first is done, I may fill the container with Arko or something like it. By the time the second stick is done, I may have another stick of Irisch Moos.

Who knows, maybe by then I'll even try Tabac.

Haven't tried that many, but Irisch Moos stick so far. When the first is done, I may fill the container with Arko or something like it. By the time the second stick is done, I may have another stick of Irisch Moos.

Who knows, maybe by then I'll even try Tabac.

You've been here since 2008 so how have you managed not to try many soaps? lol

My favorite by far is RAZOROCK XXX, a soft soap.

Other soaps I've tried that it beat out are Speick, and samples of Proraso.

A year ago I would have said Proraso Green.

A couple of months ago I would have said the Fat.

Now it's Cella...until it starts heating up again....!

My experience with different soaps is limited at this point, but I was extremely impressed with Mystic Water Lily of the Valley soap.

Top Bottom