What's new

Newbie here...checkin in!

Hey all! Well, I have to admit I'm newer than most people because I haven't even been able to shave with my DE yet. My first order of business is about my new razor. I ordered a Gillette SS G2 1961...I don't know ANYTHING about it...tried to research to see what kind of shave I'm in for, and can't find a thing. Anyone able to prep me on what this bad boy is like(in regards to aggression)? Just curious.

Second, I have been practicing my lathers with a williams soap and cheap-o boar w/ my M3. I ordered some proraso ultra though...and I'm gonna switch to that the moment I get it. I've watched videos on youtube and see a number of different methods of lathering. Mantic only loads a little soap on the end of his brush before he builds but others on youtube seem to beat the snot out of the soap before even building(the brush is LOADED with soap before building). My williams lathers seem to come out a little dry but still pretty slick and mildy cushioning. Not quit sure what I'm doin wrong...and even w/ a cartridge my neck is pretty bad when done. Which kinda throws me considering I'm using a cartridge. I'm thinkin it boils down to pushing down to hard...I'm definatly pushing down...probably to hard:bored: Anyways...thanks for reading a replying:wink2:

Welcome,
New here as well. I have been mixing in my straight shaving with using a DE . Started with the straight first , 9 shaves in with a straight. Just had to try a DE because of all the great things said about them. There awesome , I think the key is using very little pressure. Had great results and only tried it twice so far. Best shaves I have had in years.

Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome. Keep in mind that you need to let the weight of the blade do the work for you. I have found that I get better shaves and less irritation if I think about beard reduction (that is, reduction of the beard over more than one pass) b/c this reminds me to avoid applying pressure.

welcome!

watch mantics videos. watch CAS videos and pay attention to how he holds the razor and uses it, not necessarily all the product crap he says.

get a blade sampler to find which works best for you.

Welcome to B&B. Allow me to echo the multi pass method. You will have a much smoother less irritating shave. Take your time and enjoy the process, after all we are not wet shaving becuase it is fast.

Welcome to B&B!

The SS is a fairly mild razor, and it is what I started with. I think that you are fine there, it is a good razor to start with.

Take your time and enjoy the shaves.

Top Bottom