What's new

A Modified Lather King

Recently there was a posting by Mantic where he was getting a shave from a gentleman who was using a modified Lather King using Truefitt and Hill Ultimate shaving cream. Does anyone know what all is involved in the modification? Furthermore, does anyone know if it would just be a waste of money that would use way too much of the cream to be worth trying? I am just curious. Perfect lather, when you don't have time for a brush, but don't want to use goo in a can or latherless cream.:drool: The possibilities are endless.

I was thinking sort of the same thing after watching the new Mantic videos....maybe Mantic knows and will reply to this thread....it would be interesting to know.

I can't be led to believe this would be any sort of time saving measure. I don't think you can plug the machine in, and have instant hot lather. It likely needs some time to warm up.

Not to mention, the machine costs $250!! :scared:

i think they just mixed regular shaving cream with the stuff thats meant to go in there, as opposed to modding the actual machine

Corey Greenberg detailed trying to use regular shaving cream in a Lather King in one of his Shaveblog entries.

I can't be led to believe this would be any sort of time saving measure. I don't think you can plug the machine in, and have instant hot lather. It likely needs some time to warm up.

Not to mention, the machine costs $250!! :scared:

Perhaps it does need some time to warm up. That is a good question. However, if it worked out well it might just be something extra to consider as a prep. We don't stop baking food in the oven because a recipe says to preheat the oven. As far as the price there is always craigslist or ebay. The question that I am most curious about is, "how much cream would that monster devour?". To the English teachers out there, sorry for that previous sentence. It was not my intention to make a 1000 mistakes in the sentence structure, it just worked out that way.(And perhaps the one that followed) But I digress. I'm wondering if it would make for at least a fun project. Perhaps an experienced member could put up a little how to thread. That would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Last edited:
Perhaps it does need some time to warm up. That is a good question. However, if it worked out well it might just be something extra to consider as a prep. We don't stop baking food in the oven because a recipe says to preheat the oven.

The point of bringing up a warm up period, I would assume, is that in your OP, you mentioned using a Lather King when you didn't have time to use a brush. If it takes time to warm up, that time could probably be used preparing lather with a brush.

The point of bringing up a warm up period, I would assume, is that in your OP, you mentioned using a Lather King when you didn't have time to use a brush. If it takes time to warm up, that time could probably be used preparing lather with a brush.

+1

That was my point exactly. If you have time to wait for the machine to warm up, you certainly have time to use a brush. If you have time to prep the mix for the machine, you have time to use a brush.

Using my brush, over using canned goo, would potentially add 3-5 minutes to my shave. If I can't spare 5 minutes in the morning, I have some pretty serious time mismanagement issues.

+1

That was my point exactly. If you have time to wait for the machine to warm up, you certainly have time to use a brush. If you have time to prep the mix for the machine, you have time to use a brush.

Using my brush, over using canned goo, would potentially add 3-5 minutes to my shave. If I can't spare 5 minutes in the morning, I have some pretty serious time mismanagement issues.

Ok, the cat's out of the bag. I am just fascinated by the idea of a giant frothing lather monster!!!:001_tt1: Any excuse will do!!! But I must know everything about it. I can bury myself in a mountain of proraso cream with the push of a button. How could that be wrong?????:drool:

The lather king is designed for barber shops of the past where lather was dispensed throughout the day not a home application. Also I remember the type of lather the machine dispensed and it never was something to write home about.

Top Bottom