What's new

Paddle/loom vs. Hanging strop?

In the Lynn Abrams DVD, he seems to indicate that for regular stropping, you have the choice between a paddle/loom strop and a hanging strop. But I asked around and people said, "Oh no, the paddle is just for using paste on to sharpen up more. For regular shaving, you must use the hanging."

I don't have a lot of bathroom real estate, so the paddle appeals more to me. Is it possible to use a paddle for everyday shaving?

I use a hanging strop for everyday use. I hang it on the door knob to the bathroom so no space is taken. Works for me. I have no experience with paddle strops, sorry. I am sure a member with more experience will offer his advise.

Raf

I'm a newbie to straight razor shaving. Real estate was an important factor for me as well. But after speaking with Tony Miller, he assured me that I'd have no problems doing my daily strop on one of his paddle strops. So far, so good.

You can certainly use a paddle strop for daily use. In fact, with some of my razors I only use a paddle as it is much easier.

Personally, I feel the best paddle strops (without paste - 2 sided, for daily use) are the Thiers Issard strops. Perfect amount of draw, flex, etc - and really made beautifully. I find the Tony Miller paddles more designed for diamond pastes, as they are heavy blocks of wood. The TI is hollowed to provide a very small amount of flex, and does an amazing job, especially with extra hollow ground "singing" razors.

In fact.... i've been meaning to but another one. They are the best paddles (by a wide margin) in my personal opinion.

I agree with Joel, for the most part, although I'm very partial to the loom strops. All the advantages of the TI paddle strop, but also very good in place of a traditional hanging strop (despite the fact that I love my hanging strops). If I need a travel strop, the loom is the way to go for me. I want a Maestro loom, as he is the only one offering them in the size I want right now (hint hint, Tony :biggrin: ), but they're expensive, and I'm saving up for a new grinder so I can make my own razors.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Joel,
I agree that mine are a completely different animal. I owned 3 TI paddles and designed mine to be everything they were not <g>. If it was not for those 3 TIs I would not have gotten into this at all !

I wanted a wider and longer tool to use with pastes and wanted more grit options so went with a traditional 4 sided design. Mine are really not travel strops and not what I would choose for daily use either. I offer a regular stropping side only so a beginner on a budget can start with just one tool that will cover daily and long term upkeep. A hanging strop is still the tool of choice for that. As for the weight end, these are best used resting against something to steady them in which case, unless unless you are travelling, weight is not a driving issue. Mine weigh 14oz, the TI around 4oz.

I used to make a small light paddle for travel use. About the same physical size of a TI but with a longer and slightly wider stropping surface. Mine were rigid as I don't feel flex is really needed in a paddle and in all honesty it would take a good amount of pressure to actually flex on of the TI paddles. It's a nice concept but in practice I find them a little lacking. Don't get me wrong on TI either, to me there is no better razor out there. It's just I have a different idea of what a paddle ought to be and my first 2 were pretty sloppy. My third one must be a newer generation as it is made more nicely and the leather actually lays flat.

The loom is a great idea but too has it's shortcomings. The long unsupported length of the leather often cups or bows, even when the tension is released when not in use. It is short enough to travel well but being thicker is not too compact if trying to fit it into a kit bag. Most of these, to me at least have far too much flex. Joe has been asking me to design an improved model but I'm not so sure the market is there for yet another loom strop. Jemico has the low/average end covered and the Maestro has the top 10&#37; so do we really "need" another loom player?

I will probably release my small travel paddle again as there is a hole in that part of my line, especially if one does not want to spring for a TI. I'd still like a 1 3/4 to 2" width, quite thin, with at least 8" of surface even if it means a shorter handle so it fits in a Dopp brand kit bag. Time to dig out the TI and see if I can improve on it!

Thanks for the ideas and constructive critic.

Tony

Tony -
Just a few words about your paddle strops...
Since I have got my straights into good form, I have found that I can maintain the blades with an occasional visit (once per month or so, given my usual 7 razor rotation, to the 0.5 and 0.25 diamond paste on the paddle. Combine that with a daily visit to one of your hanging strops (no paste, of couse) and I am finally getting great shaves. Took me a while to get here (OK, over 5 months) but am feeling pretty good about my newly acquired skill. Truth time: alright, I still wound myself from time to time but cold water and alum bar are usually the only first aid that I need. <G>

Thanks for the great products.

Thanks for all the info. Will have to look into the TI strops. Also maybe knocking a hole in my bathroom wall. :biggrin:

Its all a matter of what you start with and get used to. I prefer hanging strops but have a paddle for travel as its more convenient for that. Some prefer the paddle for everday use. For a pasted strop the paddle is the way to go.

In the Lynn Abrams DVD, he seems to indicate that for regular stropping, you have the choice between a paddle/loom strop and a hanging strop. But I asked around and people said, "Oh no, the paddle is just for using paste on to sharpen up more. For regular shaving, you must use the hanging."

I don't have a lot of bathroom real estate, so the paddle appeals more to me. Is it possible to use a paddle for everyday shaving?

If you don't have the space in your bathroom (like me), and you want a hanging strop, then you can just strop somewhere else. There is no need to be confined to the bathroom. I strop in my hallway with a hanging strop.

-------Michael

If I traveld often and used a straight I would get a Feather Razor for 100 bucks and just be done with it. Save time and space!

If I traveld often and used a straight I would get a Feather Razor for 100 bucks and just be done with it. Save time and space!

I travel frequently...well all the time, I take my straights and my hanging strop with me with no problems at all. I hang the strop on the bathroom door knob and go at it. Rather simple, really. I would not trade my straights for anything else.

Raf

For everyday, I do use either the horsehide hanging strop for the most part or my Maestro Loom. I like the loom because of the really soft and outstanding leather the Maestro uses. Because I always have so many razors to hone and so much other stuff including 10 brushes that are mounted there, there is not much room on the counter top and the hanging strop gets used the most. I love the smaller TI paddle strop for traveling as it fits nicely into a leather case that also holds a razor. The TI 3 inch is also really nice. For the pastes though, I mainly use the leather flat bed hones. They work better as I don't have to hold them up in use and can be more consistent.

Lynn

Top Bottom