What's new

Japanese razor

31,000.00 JPY = 256.569 USD
Japan Yen United States Dollars

Is this in the right price range? Can anyone vouch for this razor or this site?
I am actually interested in one of these beauties...but would like to hear from some experts.. (Cough...cough...Joel..cough...:wink: )
Thanks for passing along the site!

Thanks Rob, but I had already read that review. I was looking more for that particular site and blade. thanks though...

Lyrt, thanks for sharing Joel's response! That was exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like I will have to keep looking..

I've been trying to find a Japanese straight (non-folding) razor like this. They are hard to find. Whenever I do, I can't buy it because of price or availability.:thumbdown

I've been trying to find a Japanese straight (non-folding) razor like this. They are hard to find. Whenever I do, I can't buy it because of price or availability.:thumbdown

It really is miserable, no?

Funny thing, apparently it isn't considered a "high level" item - in that it isn't really something high-end bladesmiths touch, as it is considered "below" them, so even they guys who DO make 'em, apparently don't do it too often, as there is far more "pride" in swords, knives, kitchen/sushi knives, and so on and so forth. I've offered some of these guys 3-4X the asking price, and they still turn it down....

It really is miserable, no?

Funny thing, apparently it isn't considered a "high level" item - in that it isn't really something high-end bladesmiths touch, as it is considered "below" them, so even they guys who DO make 'em, apparently don't do it too often, as there is far more "pride" in swords, knives, kitchen/sushi knives, and so on and so forth. I've offered some of these guys 3-4X the asking price, and they still turn it down....

Why is that do you think? It is an item that people use everyday.

Why is that do you think? It is an item that people use everyday.

It's for scraping hair off your face.... versus a high end cooking knife is a tool used in the "art" of cuisine (which is taken VERY seriously in Japan). I'd ASSume that they view razors as more of a "tool" with little passion/pride in it, as you would any daily use product - IE a toothbrush, as it is used for a "menial chore" - versus knives being used for much more elegant, refined and prestigious purposes. Also... the razors are mighty plain/simple - where as the knives can be more complex, but honestly - your guess is as good as mine.

All I know is if someone finds a reliable source please forward the information on to the forum or just me :biggrin1: I really would like to obtain one of those beauties. Especially like the one you recently reviewed Joel!
For now I will just have to put this on my "someday" list....

All I know is if someone finds a reliable source please forward the information on to the forum or just me :biggrin1: I really would like to obtain one of those beauties. Especially like the one you recently reviewed Joel!
For now I will just have to put this on my "someday" list....

Oh, I have a source.... and I could get you one.... but it would be unreasonably expensive. You'd have better luck getting a Maestro or a few super high end TI's for the money....

My Japanese bladesmith does not make shaving razor blades. However, he did offer to buy a razor like this from a local shop and ship it to me. It's going to be a single bevel razor but similar to the one from Munemasa. We still have to work out design, price, and shipment. It'll take time but it looks like I might finally get my razor!!!:thumbup:

My Japanese bladesmith does not make shaving razor blades. However, he did offer to buy a razor like this from a local shop and ship it to me. It's going to be a single bevel razor but similar to the one from Munemasa. We still have to work out design, price, and shipment. It'll take time but it looks like I might finally get my razor!!!:thumbup:

My bladesmith got back to me today. He told me that he found a better Iwasaki razor that costs $390.00!!!!! He also said there is a Haruyoshi razor that costs a more reasonable but still expensive $160.00. At those prices, I told him I'd have to pass. :sad: My dream was short-lived.

Top Bottom