What's new

Switching to a sharper blade for one shave

Just wondering if anyone else here does what I do, when you've missed a shave.

Usually I use Derby blades which work well, but I've found that when I've got more than a day's stubble, even a new blade tugs a bit and so I use a Feather instead and it mows things down no problem. I've found this is the case even if I miss shaving in the morning and then shave that evening (I must have some incredible stubble growth). I would use Feathers every day except they're twice the price of the Derbys and also not quite so forgiving of a potentially hurried weekday shave.

Gillette 7 O'clock yellow is almost as sharp as a feather but more forgiving. They can be had for $ 25-30 per hundred blades.

I use Feathers quite sparingly. I find that if I use them too often, my face gets a bit raw. My everyday blades are Astras and for about a week every month I change over to Feather blades.
Come to think of it I must be about due for a week of Feathers. I reckon I'll put one in my slant and take a walk on the wild side:lol:

Pete

I shaved with a feather blade last night after 6 months of derby blades and must say they gave me a terrific shave, now i just have to try the rest of the blades in my sample pack:biggrin1:

I only shave every other day so I always have stubble. In my vintage Gillettes I will usually go with IP Red. Just as forgiving, but a better shave than Derby. And about the same price, $11-15 per hundred. I also get 3 good shaves out of Reds and only 2 from a Derby. Yellows and Feathers I save for special occasions or moods.

If I don't shave for more than two days I use a Feather. Anything other than that is uncomfortable. If it's only been a day I can stick w/ the Astra.

Top Bottom