What's new

Best Hard Water Soap

This is for all of you; but i was curious what Sue and our other soap manufacturers had to say on the subject.

I really enjoy using a shave soap; Ive tried creams, and they are nice for a change; but I like soaps; sue me.

I have learned some things about my routine since moving to the land of hard water;

So, from your experiences; which shave soaps seem to work best (lather, skin protection from nicks and razor burn; especially nicks) when you have hard water.

I DO have a water softener; and will get it checked to make sure it is working properly; but the water is still harder than what I was used to in Louisiana.

im all ears....

I have very hard water. I don't have any problems with my soaps but they probably take a bit more water and work. What I use/have used.

Mama Bear (Several but not nearly as much as Dustin :001_smile)
Speick
Tabac
Arko
Provence Sante
MWF
Col Conks
C&E (Nomad and Sandalwood)

I have very hard water, and have not had any problems with any of my soaps (except MWF, but I don't want to have this turn into another MWF thread). I tend to prefer the tallow soaps, and have had excellent luck with Yardley, AOS, C&S, DR Harris, Tabac, T&H Luxury (not tallow, but a good triple milled soap), Irisch Moos, La Toja (also not tallow), and some others.

Last edited:
We have very hard water - we've gone through 3 water heaters in 15 years - and my very best experience has been with Prairie Creations, Kiss My Face and Weleda.

If your water is hard, then soaps that lather freely and easily are your best bet. I would suggest Tabac or AOS. Also great but harder to get are Irisch Moos, Palmolive, and Arko sticks. Also old vintage Old Spice is tallow rich and easy easy to lather.

A modest suggestion, try using distilled water ($0.99/gallon at the grocer or drug store) to soak your brush and make lather and you'll never ask that question again.

A modest suggestion, try using distilled water ($0.99/gallon at the grocer or drug store) to soak your brush and make lather and you'll never ask that question again.

This or bottled water heated in the microwave to soak and make lather. I'm on well water. Great for taste, lousy for lather.

Awww MWF doesn't like hard water? I was looking forward to trying it when my tabac got low. Maybe I'll do it over the summer when I can spend more time at my folks house (they have a softener).

I have very hard water, these ones have given me no problems at all when lathering:

Mama Bear's
Cella
Penhaligon's English Fern (Tallow 1st)
Pre de Provence
L'Occitane
Tabac

Oh yeah. I should have mentioned. Our water is hard enough that we have to filter it or anything we boil in develops a film of scale after a couple uses, and Tabac lathers up just fine. I'm starting to suspect it works better with hard water, as some members mention it leaving a slimy film and I haven't noticed any residue. Hard water could reasonably be capable of preventing something like that. It is just a theory though.

I have hard water and find that any soap with Tetrasodium EDTA as an ingredient lathers easily. What it does is act as a "Chelating agent– forms complexes with metal ions in water and makes the water ”soft”, so it is easier to make a foam ".

nice advice;

i also discovered that my water softener (my first experience with one of these) was low on salt; so I put some more in; gonna see the effect this has.

on a secondary note; those of you with water softeners; ever use the potassium pellets? i realize they are very expensive; but with high blood pressure i do not need any extra sodium if I can help it.

Top Bottom