What's new

Badger smell?

So I just had my first shave with a real badger brush, a Simpson Best Badger. When I was rinsing off the brush after my first pass, the bathroom was filled with a funky smell. I realized it was coming from the brush. It only happened when I was rising the lather off of the brush, though. Otherwise I had to stick the brush in my face to smell it.

Is what I'm experiencing just what a wet badger smells like? Or is it some chemical they store unsold brushes in that I didn't wash out well enough before my first use? Am I experiencing an anomaly here, or has anyone else experienced a funky smell with a badger brush for the first time? And if it is normal, does it go away? Or is it something I'm supposed to enjoy?

Just curious...

-Jeremy

New badger brushes do smell bit funky and I have found there is a breaking in period. I just got a new T&H brush this week and it had quite a rank smell. I know from experience with my other brushes that the smell will fade with use. I also find that brand new badger brushes take 4-5 shaves before they reach maximum lathering potential.

Pete

Yeah I noticed its shape changed radically after just the first use. Beats the socks off my old Burma Shave brush.

-Jeremy

They smell when you first get them. It will wear off after a few shaves, or if you use a strong scent.

I hear tell of recommendations to wash a new brush with some shampoo to get rid of the badger smell before first use.

It worked for me...at least it got rid of almost all of it. A few shaves later and it's gone.

Yep- my Simpson smelled a bit funky. I just worked through it shaving normally. Small price to pay for the pleasure of a nice brush!

-J

You can also do the normal brush clean routine to cut out some of the initial funk, a quick soak in detergent and then vinegar might help.

See here.

Like the description of 'funky'. I had this when I bought a new brush recently (must confess that I didn't find it objectionable!) but the smell went within a week.

The smell will fade with a few shaves or gentle cleaning as others have suggested. And yes, you are supposed to enjoy it! Larry

Thanks for your responses, everyone. I had the girlfriend smell it when she got home from work and she described it as smelling like moth balls. She was also really excited about how nice the brush looks and feels.

It's such a step up from the Burma Shave brush. I can deal with a weird smell for the next three shaves. I'm about to go to bed after a long shift at the bar, and I can't wait to wake up and get in a shave before I rehearse with my band then head to a Super Bowl party.

-Jeremy

Top Bottom