What's new

To Duck or not to Duck

My birthday's coming up and I'd like to get myself a new shaver, particularly with pearl scales for around $200. I've been shaving with a Dovo pakkawood for over a year and want to try either a size larger than 5/8, or a different grind, or different point--or just a better shave if the above differences aren't met.

At any rate, I've sort of narrowed it down to three and would like some advice.
The first is a Le Grelot:
proxy.php

I hear great things about the 1/4 ground, but is this still worth it? It's 3/4 to full hollow. How is it to hone for a beginner?

Up next for consideration is the Dovo INOX:
full

I know this would certainly be different from my Dovo black star carbon steel, but I feel confident I could hone the bugger. A cursory look found the price to be over $250 for Genuine mother of Pearl scales, which is about 50 bucks higher than I wanted to go. Still, I'd pull the trigger...

Lastly, and you guessed it:
proxy.php

I'm interested in this or the wonderedge, but frankly don't know the difference--Wonderedge is better? I know the mystique around these is more hype, and this drives the price up to 200 clams or more (about 100 dollars more than their shaving worth, as I understand), but I can't help but like their aesthetic (especially the scales) and the point.

Other suggestions are welcome, if they're out there.

Salud,
Lear

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I haven't try the 3 models mentioned in the OP in particular. I intend to try a Dovo one day but not now. The LeGrelot is a great blade and very hard steel.

I would pick that one because I have a LeGrelot!

All of the TI's I have tried so far were great shavers.
I have tried DD special #1 and it also shaves great.
I'd say any of those two would be a good buy.

I have two Ducks, a Wonderedge and a Goldedge. Many other Solingen full hollow blades shave as well, and while the cracked ice scales look nice they are really nothing special quality wise. They seem to be available in large enough numbers that you could pick one up most anytime in the future on the secondary market. But you take your chances.

I also have a Le Grelot quarter hollow, and have had a full hollow Le Grelot that was a fantistic shaver. My impression is these NOS Le Grelot razors are limited in number and once they are gone the secondary market will be the only market.

I don't have a Dovo 41, but they have a good reputation. No idea if Dovo is making them still. Someone will chime in that knows. I can't provide any additional information on the razor.

My vote, (heck, it's your money I'm spending) would be for the Le Grelot. Good looking, even sans thumb notch, excellent shavers, and you can still purchase NOS. Plus it could be returned if suffering from TI quality control issues.

I have a goldedge and Le Grelot. I like the way they both shave. But for dollar to dollar I believe the quality of the Ti is better. The feel of the DD is cheap.. the scales seem to warp over time

Wonderedge is "money." I love my Wonderedge but it is a little hype but it is a top performer.

Watch what you pay for it though, there are some who are trying to sell for $300+ but I wouldn't pay more than $200 and that has to be mint or NOS with no wear. What kills the Dubl Duck is those goofy scales that are brittle and break no matter what.

But man that Le Grelot is something hard to pass up though.

IMO dump the Dovo. You can always find a Dovo.

My WonderEdge doesn't feel cheap at all. It's an EXTREMELY hollow grind, so it feels quite light, but not cheap. Then again I haven't shaved with it.

I will say that I have seen a LOT of warped cracked ice scales though.

And frankly the duck in that pic doesn't look like I'd expect a $200 razor to look. I'd expect that to bring 70-120 on ebay. NOS or close to it Gold Edges are what you'll see in the $200 price range.

ooor you could always scour the BST or 'bay for other razors that aren't these three that have MOP scales, you could pick up a vintage and get them rescaled in MOP even

I'm guessing the MOP look is what you are wanting rather then the actual brand of the razor?

My WonderEdge doesn't feel cheap at all. It's an EXTREMELY hollow grind, so it feels quite light, but not cheap. Then again I haven't shaved with it. ...And frankly the duck in that pic doesn't look like I'd expect a $200 razor to look.

Why haven't you shaved with it? Also the picture is just one I grabbed randomly. I would go for one in excellent condition.

ooor you could always scour the BST or 'bay for other razors that aren't these three that have MOP scales, you could pick up a vintage and get them rescaled in MOP even

I'm guessing the MOP look is what you are wanting rather then the actual brand of the razor?

I want both. The brand is also a high priority.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! :thumbup1:

I'm surprised there aren't more recommendations for the Dovo. According to Joel's review he is quite emphatic about it's greatness. But am I to understand out of my three selections, the Dovo is still in production?

Because the scales were warped.

:lol:

Pulled them off to attempt to straighten them and for the past 2 months I haven't gotten the chance to pick up the washer's I need to peen them (or another set of scales) back onto the blade. I just ordered some, so I'm hoping within a week, I'll be lathering up and taking it for a whirl.

Let me ask it this way: Exclusive of MOP scales, what would be a worthy razor NOS or otherwise for $200? :huh:

I have them all and you won't go wrong with any of them. If I had to say which shaves the best I would say the Dovo but I have the older ones and I don't know if the newer ones are quite the same.

Let me ask it this way: Exclusive of MOP scales, what would be a worthy razor NOS or otherwise for $200? :huh:

I've two Modern Dovos, and a Vintage Bengall, I'd have to say, out of all of them, they are just as good as each other (even though I seem to gravitate towards using my bengall more often these days for some reason) each of them cost me less then $200

they all shave my face. if I wanted put MOP scales on my bengall, I'd end up with a razor with MOP scales for less then $100 all up

Though I don't see any reason to rescale my kitty, cos she's nice the way she is (meow)

I have 7 goldedges...I know...it's overkill, one dovo special, and an LG quarter hollow. With full disclosure, I have a special spot in my heart for ducks. They always provide a great shave, and I have never found one that doesn't perform. They "strop well" for my hands. The LG is a fantastic razor as well, but I find the thumb notch in the LG makes stropping a bit more difficult, and they are a little aggressive for just one day of hair growth (at least for my beard). For two or more days (I use it usually after a weekend of not shaving) it really plows through things. Again, this is the 1/4 hollow we are talking about. I find the ducks more suited for daily shaving, and they just look so pimp.

The dovo is also a great shaver, and for 80 bucks was the best money I've ever spent on a razor. However, I prefer both the LG and the Goldedges to my Dovo. Then again, it's not one of the premium dovo makes.

As always, YMMV. You can't go wrong with any of those blades.

Le Grelot would be my choice (I have a few of them). I have about 30 razors and the Dovo is my least favourite. YMMV.

Top Bottom