What's new

Tell me about prairie creations please..........

School me on this stuff. It contains tallow, and if I want, I can get one with anise oil which smells like licorice:tongue_sm.......one of my favorite smells! How is the soap though. I love Tabac. Is performance the same?

There are multiple threads that have now been locked discussing PC soaps.

Personally I find the scents to be great if you stick your nose in the soap, but get 6" away, you can't smell it. my other soaps fill the bathroom with scent when you open the lid.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I would give it a 5 overall

It contains tallow, yes. It does not perform similar to Tabac though, IMO. Very slick lather, but I can't seem to produce a nice thick and creamy cushion like I can with other tallow soaps. The PC leaves your skin feeling very nice however. Also like Tabac, it is a very polarizing soap...some priase it to the high heavens, some think it is not bad, but so far as far as I can tell, no one thinks it is bad, per se.

Cool. Those were the very things I was curious about. I actually prefer a faint scent that dissipates quickly, so that is good. I can smell Tabac on my face about an hour or two after using it. I actually like the smell though so it dosent really bother me.

As for it not lathering as good as Tabac, I may just have to live with that considering everyone acknowledges Tabacs mighty performance even if they hate the smell. So maybe I will give it a try......hopefully some others chime in.

I am not sure you would smell PC soap after you rinse your face. I literally have to get about a inch away to really smell it at all, and I have sandalwood.

Like I said, I can open my other soaps, set them on the counter and smell them at standing height.

YMMV, but I can faintly smell PC scents on my face for 5 minutes or so after shaving before they vanish completely.

http://www.prairie-creations.com/shop/

The above is the website where you can order the soap, and it has current pricing as well.

While there has been ongoing issues with the owners communication skills, the product itself is generally regarded as being top notch.

I have a puck of Oatmeal Milk, and Honey, but haven't tested it enough to form an opinion.

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
There are multiple threads that have now been locked discussing PC soaps.l

Yes Matt, the search function will let you read volumes of information concerning this cottage/home industry success story. From it's humble beginnings to this new exciting decade filled with promise. You will have many hours of reading pleasure and will find out even the most personal aspects of a home business operation.

In my experience the PC soap does perform similarly to Tabac. In terms of lather they are comparable. I actually prefer PC to Tabac lately. I cannot comment on the scent as I have the unscented variety, which smells like tallowy soap (surprise). I quite like it.

Yes Matt, the search function will let you read volumes of information concerning this cottage/home industry success story. From it's humble beginnings to this new exciting decade filled with promise. You will have many hours of reading pleasure and will find out even the most personal aspects of a home business operation.

heh. that about sums it up.

I enjoy PC Rose, for what it's worth.

Not to mention that you'll be able to read at length about the chemical interactions of lye while making soap, and how only a small lapse of attention could result in a really interesting outcome for the user of the soap! :w00t:

IIRC, she started doing anise scent in her bath soaps for hunting season, as she and her husband are active deer hunters.

- Chris

Apparently not anymore??

I thought about the appropriateness of posting a link to a banned vendors website, but since the site name is not filtered out, I took that to mean the mods are ok with it.

Wait, she's actually been banned? Someone fill me in?

I had posted in [thread=126416]this thread[/thread] that I experienced a mild to moderate 3 hour burn after using the Prairie Creations Polo soap. I want to update my use of that soap.

That first use of the PC soap was followed by my usual application of an alum block, and by my first use of the PC Golden ASB. I used the ASB again yesterday, after shaving with an HBS soap, and got a mild tingle on my skin, similar to the sensation I get after using MB Diogenes Club or TGQ Leatherneck soaps. So I wondered if it was the combination of products that caused the burn and not the PC soap alone. Today I used the PC Polo soap again, without using the alum block or the Golden ASB. No burn, though I got a slight tingle. My conclusion therefore is that it wasn't the Polo soap that caused the burn.

I find the lather quite good, more cushioning than slick, and easy enough to generate on my face. The scent is disappointingly weak however.

Tallow doesnt mean flip to me but thats just my opinion. If tallow did moisturize then why is Williams SS and Ivory so darn drying;) another thread! lol

Tallow isn't an ingredient added to soap simply for moisturizing properties. Tallow is added to lye in order to create the soap base in a process called saponification. Essential oils and/or other stuff are then added to the soap base to give it a particular character.

It contains tallow, yes. It does not perform similar to Tabac though, IMO. Very slick lather, but I can't seem to produce a nice thick and creamy cushion like I can with other tallow soaps. The PC leaves your skin feeling very nice however. Also like Tabac, it is a very polarizing soap...some priase it to the high heavens, some think it is not bad, but so far as far as I can tell, no one thinks it is bad, per se.

I agree with this. Your skin will feel nice. I get a very good shave out of my PC, but the lather is a touch on the thin side. Also, the scents don't always match the description (I have cedar wood, and I can't quite get that out of it, even though it's the essential oil).

The anise does sound intriguing.

It's worth pulling the trigger on so you can make your own evaluation.

I have similar experiences to others here. I find the lather to be a little thin and that the lather breaks down kind of quickly. I do find that it is very slick and I get a good and comfortable shave using it.

I was hoping that it would perform like Tabac, but I have found it to be different (better or worse is subjective). I can get a very good lather with it if I mix it with a little shaving cream, I have used KMF and CO Bigalow with very good results, but was hoping that it would “stand on its own”. I will probably order more of her soap when I run out of what I have, but to me it is not the perfect shaving soap that will knock Tabac out of my rotation.

Don’t be in a hurry to get your order though. It is a craft made product which is made to order (at least on some level). When I ordered mine, I wish that that fact had been emphasized on her web site. At the time under the shipping notes she stated something to the effect that she only sent her packages by express mail because the regular mail just took too long. With that in mind, I expected a quick turnaround which did not happen. I would have ordered anyway, but it would have avoided a bit of frustration on my part if the time required to fill the order would have been made clear up front.

I don't like vendors which offers too many choices.
I really prefer a vendor with only a handful, but proven scents.

Not only because on the choices itself, but also because I subconsciously put them straight in the unprofessional part of the market segment that has to do business via ebay for example.
It is subjective but I can't help it.

Top Bottom