What's new

back of the neck

I'm still learning the face and neck and I realized this weekend it's time to tackle the back of the neck. Anyone have any tips specific for this area? My old system was standing in the shower with a bar of soap and a Bic disposable. I already assume I'll be cleaning lather off the floor in front of the sink.

Thanks.

-Dave

B

bluefoxicy

Gently and carefully. I'm considering attempting this with a straight razor but...

Actually, I just follow the same routine: soap, brush and razor all go into the shower, lather up like normal and carefully and slowly with short strokes shave by feel; first, 1/2 way up from the lower portion of my neck then re-apply lather and down from the hairline. I use my other hand/finger as a stop guide to try to keep a semi-straight finish line.

Basically shave it just like I did with a cartridge using more care...

best of luck,
m

I've actually wondered for a while if people shaved their own neck and have considered doing it. I'm just scared of missing a spot and looking silly...

I do it regularly. Use the same prep as for your face. If you can manage it, you can hold a hand mirror while looking in a mirror so you can make sure you don't miss any spots.

the back of the neck is the reason to keep a single edge around; with the old gems you are supposed to line the top of the head with the surface to be shaved, if you razor has been in hot water you will always know where the blade is going by feeling the heat of the head

works for me and I have some bad keloid scars back there that are an invitation to bleeding,

good luck,
ken

Watch out if you have any moles! I eventually had one removed because I kept hitting it with a razor (or have a big unshaved, but safe, patch around it.)

Isn't that cheating? :) (I couldn't get the smile icon to work) I may end up going that route until I'm more comfortable doing my face. That or just going in for haircuts every three weeks or so.

Best way is a hand held mirror in one hand and your back facing the bathroom mirror, using electric hair clippers with no guard. On the occasions where I've tried to use a DE or cartridge, the hair just clogged up the razor and I ended up nicking myself or getting razor burn. Not worth it, IMHO. I still get my neck shaved at the barber through with shavette type razor.

Well first you need a second mirror. I like a mirror on one of those extending arms, mounted on the wall opposite my main mirror.

Second--shave sitting, if at all possible. Bring a chair into the bathroom.

Line up mirror so you can see back of neck but not so your arm blocks your view. Lather. Shave. I back off a little when I reach the hairline.

Top Bottom