What's new

Witch hazel gel?

Has anyone tried Witch Doctor gel? It's 81.5% w/w witch hazel in a clear gel. Was looking for regular witch hazel but Tesco only had the gel.

Not sure if you're referencing a particular brand--I've used WH gel with aloe and WG with tea tree, both by Jason Natural products, and they've been good after a shave. the WG gel is good if you want to mix a AS or cologne in, or if you have sensitive skin. The tea tree gel is very healing.

both were at a local grocery store, somewhere between $5-$10.

Hope this helps, sb

'Witch Doctor' is the brand name. Under £2 for a 35g tube. They list virtually every cause of skin irritation except shaving! If it doesn't work it'll be handy in the bathroom cabinet anyway :lol:

Ah... A fellow brit!

I've not used the WH Gel in Tesco. But I see no reason why it would not work. WH is an astringent after all and I don't see why it being in gel form would stop it being so.

However, I use something which I urge you to try. Get yourself down to Boots and buy a bottle of their own brand Witch Hazel with tea tree. It is in a bottle around 200ml in size, the bottle is clear and colourless and the fluid itself is pale green. It is the best WH product that I have found and only costs around £2.50 so it is worth a punt even if you don't like it.

Ah... A fellow brit!

I've not used the WH Gel in Tesco. But I see no reason why it would not work. WH is an astringent after all and I don't see why it being in gel form would stop it being so.

However, I use something which I urge you to try. Get yourself down to Boots and buy a bottle of their own brand Witch Hazel with tea tree. It is in a bottle around 200ml in size, the bottle is clear and colourless and the fluid itself is pale green. It is the best WH product that I have found and only costs around £2.50 so it is worth a punt even if you don't like it.

Thanks for the suggestion, will check Boots at the weekend....was passing Tesco at lunchtime so thought I'd look there first. I'll be trying the gel tonight, will see how it goes.

Tried the gel this evening. I've not used WH before so don't really have anything to compare it to :blush:

Shaved as normal, finished with a cold towel then applied a pea sized amount. Went on smoothly without feeling greasy. No instant astringent "sting". I had a tiny nick on my neck and had reopened yesterday's nick below my bottom lip (more a weeper this time). Both stopped bleeding straight away.

By the time I'd cleaned up my gear and wiped down the sink, the gel had been absorbed. Very faint tingle. However, there is a definite moisturising effect. My skin feels very soft and smooth....and the shave wasn't THAT good! :lol: Neither myself or my wife can notice any odour/scent.

Overall, I feel that it's pretty good stuff. :thumbup: Will try some regular WH at some point so I can compare the effects.

Can you list the ingredients of the stuff, if you don't mind? Sounds interesting.
"Active Ingredients: Liquid extract of Witch Hazel 81.5% in a clear concentrated gel base."

Ethanol,
Propylene Glycol,
Triethanolamine,
Carbomer,
Disodium Edetate,
Menthol,
Lauric Acid Diethanolamide,
E142,
Witch Hazel Essence.

Over 12 hours since I used it, skin feels soft and smooth. Noticed that the small patch of bumps I've had on my neck, below my ear (at collar line), have gone down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ingredients...that's what I figured they would be like. It's similar to 444, minus the menthol and plus the witch hazel.

Top Bottom