What's new

Best Shave Ever? - Gentlemens Refinery

I got my Gentleman's Refinery traveler's pack in the mail yesterday. Today I used the preshave oil, Anise flavored cream, and aftershave balm.

Without a doubt it was the best shave ever! I'm not sure if was the preshave oil or the cream (doubt it, I have some great creams) Whatever it was, it worked perfectly.

My face feels amazing. BTW, I got it for 60% off at makeup.com, along with some AoS and Anthony face soap. What a deal! I don't know if I'd buy their stuff at full retail, but one the Gent's products really made this morning's shave memorable.

BUT

this is weird.... Now that I'm feeling my face, it's not as BBS as it was a few minutes ago. Wow! Maybe the oil caused me to not feel whiskers after I was done shaving. Maybe the balm did it. This is just plain weird.

It was still a good shave, but not the greatest. My face still feels great, and the balm is amazing, but forget what I said above. But the more I play with my face, the more stubble I'm feeling.

(ok, I know this is a weird post... from greatest to very good in less than 5 minutes)

The TGR cream is great stuff, but very slick. If you make the lather too thick, you might be gliding over the whiskers instead of cutting them off. I'd imagine if you throw the pre-shave oil in there it could create that problem.

I like the cream but it's overpriced, IMHO. I burned through my tub pretty fast because I had to use basically twice the amount of cream I use compared to other brands to get good lather. YMMV. I did get great shaves with it, but I won't be buying it again.

I think their ASB is way overrated. The stuff balled up on my face after using it over a splash and it didn't moisturize as well as I would have liked. Plus the unscented one smelled bad...it almost had a urine note in there or something.

I am a big fan of their balm and moisturizer, I like the SC too. When I ran out of the balm I re ordered which I rarely do (so many products out there to try). My face looks foward to that milky balm and feels so refreshed once it is applied.

For my $$ TGR gets the nod.

The TGR cream is great stuff, but very slick. If you make the lather too thick, you might be gliding over the whiskers instead of cutting them off. I'd imagine if you throw the pre-shave oil in there it could create that problem.

I like the cream but it's overpriced, IMHO. I burned through my tub pretty fast because I had to use basically twice the amount of cream I use compared to other brands to get good lather. YMMV. I did get great shaves with it, but I won't be buying it again.

I think their ASB is way overrated. The stuff balled up on my face after using it over a splash and it didn't moisturize as well as I would have liked. Plus the unscented one smelled bad...it almost had a urine note in there or something.

Interesting comments about the cream and cream. Maybe I really did slide over them. After my shave when I washed my face it was amazing.

At 60% off it is a great product and great value. I haven't used it enough to see if its worth full price. I like the smell of the cream, and actually I think I used very little. I used my brush to dip into it instead of my butter knife. I'll use the butter knife tomorrow and see how much I actually used.

BTW, so far I like the balm, but damn is it expensive!!!

I don't think The Gentlemens Refinery is intending their balm to be used over another type of product, and I can't really fault the company for not testing their balm against every conceivable product users might want to put on their face beforehand to see if there will be some sort of reaction. I've never had any problems with TGR balm balling up when using it by itself. In purely functional terms, I find it to be an excellent balm.

I agree with you on the scent, though. It is seriously funky, and provides a major reason not to use it, unfortunately.

Now that I think about it, Mr. Curmudgeon, this was a...

Best Shave Ever? thread, not a Best Shave Ever! thread.

I have never once heard you complain about "Best Shave Ever?" threads. :lol:

So what are your thoughts about the cream? I really liked it, and I think I used very little. The scent was nice, but pretty weak.

And what are you thoughts about their preshave oil?

So what are your thoughts about the cream? I really liked it, and I think I used very little. The scent was nice, but pretty weak.

And what are you thoughts about their preshave oil?

I think the pre-shave oil is good for what it is, although I'm not sure it improves my shaves any. What it does do is amp up the overall moisturizing factor of the total shaving regimen, so if you use it in tandem with the shaving cream and aftershave balm, you get a very moisturizing and soothing combo. The three combined are actually a little too moisturizing for my own purposes, but that's a matter of personal preference. I don't fault the products for that. Something to keep in mind - if you spring for the full-size dispenser of the oil, plan on using it nearly every shave so you can use it up before it goes bad. My batch went rancid after maybe 18 months, and I had to throw it out.

The shaving cream is good, and works well within the whole line. It's not something I'd seek to use on its own, though. It doesn't lather as well as, or perform any better than, something like T&H Ultimate Comfort, and its price point makes it more expensive than Castle Forbes. It has high quality ingredients, and I personally like the scent of The Standard, but it's just not a cream that really "does it" for me.

Last edited:
This is very interesting stuff. I used all three this morning. My face feels SOOOO soft. Incredibly moisturizing (just like you said). I got a great deal on it, but to pay full retail for it would be incredibly painful.

Two major components of the GR balm are glycerin and jojoba oil...but they really water down the stuff. Daniel Kern moisturizer is the same basic idea, but is not as watered down, but not too thick either. Plus I can get a big 16oz bottle of the Daniel Kern for less than half of what the GR balm costs. It also doesn't smell nearly as funky as the GR balm. So for me, the GR balm is something I have no reason to ever buy.

I don't think The Gentlemens Refinery is intending their balm to be used over another type of product, and I can't really fault the company for not testing their balm against every conceivable product users might want to put on their face beforehand to see if there will be some sort of reaction. I've never had any problems with TGR balm balling up when using it by itself. In purely functional terms, I find it to be an excellent balm.

I agree with you on the scent, though. It is seriously funky, and provides a major reason not to use it, unfortunately.

The stuff is packed with glycerin, that's why it's so moisturizing. For something cheaper with a high glycerin content, but not quite as high, give LEA shave cream a shot. It's $6 a tube from shaveabuck and has become one of my favorite creams.

I just tested Pacific Shaving cream this morning and it also does a good job of moisturizing, but I need to test it some more.

This is very interesting stuff. I used all three this morning. My face feels SOOOO soft. Incredibly moisturizing (just like you said). I got a great deal on it, but to pay full retail for it would be incredibly painful.

Top Bottom