What's new

Worst shaves with new blade?

Okay, now this is just weird. :tongue_sm I was under the impression that blades should be their sharpest and their most effective at first, but I swear, I get a better and better shave with each time I use a given blade. (Up to a certain point, naturally!) My first shave with a blade is usually not very close, with numerous weepers to boot. But once I've used that blade maybe three or four times, I get very close, very comfortable shaves. Granted, these are unfortunately Merkur blades, so I know I shouldn't be expecting anything TOO amazing, but it still seems counterintuitive! It seemed to happen when I used disposables, too...sometimes I'd be hesitant to start with a new razor, because this typically meant a more uncomfortable shave for a while.

Does this mean my face just works better with duller blades? Are sharper blades simply exaggerating deficiencies in my technique that aren't problematic with duller blades? I can't figure it out! Does this happen to anyone else? :001_unsur

Strangely enough, I do know what you're talking about. I started on Merkurs as well and the best shaves I got out of those were after about 3-4 shaves. Granted, they still aren't as good as the shaves I get from some other brands, but it is a bit counter intuitive.

Some blades are known to be somewhat harsh at first. It is pretty common for a blade to ease into a comfortable middle ground. Some people prefer to cork their blades before using them for this reason.

It is usually due to the blade coatings used...it wears away from the edge after the first shave. Corking works, but it is more effective to just hand strop the blade, in my opinion. Corking reduces the longevity by one less shave, I've found.

Sounds right to me. It was more noticable with the Mekurs, but the same is true with Derbys and Red Personas, for me anyway. I make sure I am on day two with a blade for date night with the wife! Larry

It is usually due to the blade coatings used...it wears away from the edge after the first shave. Corking works, but it is more effective to just hand strop the blade, in my opinion. Corking reduces the longevity by one less shave, I've found.

How do you hand strope a DE blade?

How do you hand strope a DE blade?

Hold it carefully between your thumb and forefinger in the middle where there are no sharp surfaces. Pull the edge across the lower part of the pinkie side of your palm several times in succession. Carefully turn your hand over so the other side of that edge is now by your palm and repeat the process.

Then, turn the blade around so the other edge is ready to be stropped, and do both sides in the same fashion.

Takes about a minute or so. I usually give them about 10-15 swipes across the palm on each cutting surface. Works for me. Just be very careful. Always PULL the blade away from your palm so the cutting edge is being stropped without risk of cuts.

It happens to me too. The first shave is the worst for me with a new blade and then the next shave is perfect. I use Walmart Personnas.

-CCM

Thank you for the video. I am going to try this.

-CCM

It really does work well. I don't use as much of the heel of my hand as he does in the video, I use more of my palm, for a longer "strop", but the finish and end result is the same. I also do it about 10 times per edge (40 times total, including the flip). All told, it takes less than 40 seconds per blade. I do this before and after each shave (before to freshen the edge, afterwards to realign and clean it).

It really does work well. I don't use as much of the heel of my hand as he does in the video, I use more of my palm, for a longer "strop", but the finish and end result is the same. I also do it about 10 times per edge (40 times total, including the flip). All told, it takes less than 40 seconds per blade. I do this before and after each shave (before to freshen the edge, afterwards to realign and clean it).

Thank you for the info. I will try that as well and see how it works out for me.

Thank you again,
CCM

Top Bottom