What's new

Quick question regarding blade usage

As I've detailed in other posts, I bought Merkur blades from the same men's boutique I got my Merkur DE razor. I started using a new blade with each shave, as I seemed to get much better results that way. Then I read extensively on here that pretty much no one likes Merkurs. So I bought a pack of Wilkinson Swords from the deli down the street and instantly had a much better shave, and none of the tender face problems I had with the Merkurs.

I like switching out the blade every shave, it makes me feel indulgent and it's only 50 cents a day-- $3.50 a week. My question is this: Is there any benefit other than economic to using blades more than once? As in, is it possible that after the blades get dulled a little bit I might have a better shave with them? I've read on some posts here that dulling your blade can reduce weepers, but I'm not having a problem with that. I guess to put it simply my question is: Is it possible that the second or third shave I get from the same blade might be better than the first?

If not, I'm just inclined to go through a blade a day.

-Jeremy

.50 per blade is actually a bit on the steep side, in my opinion. Buy in a quantity of 100 online and you're looking at around .15- .25 per blade depending on where/what you get. Regardless, even with my skin, I can get two perfect shaves out of a blade, the third tends to feel worse, but is passable. I find it less wasteful to try and extend blade life. Worst case scenario, you have to change blades mid-shave, no big deal.

There's no rule that says you can't toss them after 1 use. I find with Merkur and Derby blades I usually get two good shaves. With IP Reds I usually get three. More than that and they start to require extra passes or touchups which I'd rather avoid.

Actually, many here, myself included, find that certain blades shave best on their second shave, not the first.

Wow, so some people find a better shave on the second use of the same blade?

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

-Jeremy

Alright, I get, it, YMMV. Tomorrow I'll try the same blade. Wilkinson Swords are stainless, right? So I don't have to worry about rust, or have to soak them in alcohol?

-Jeremy

Just find your own best way to shave Jeremy. There's no right or wrong when it comes to blades, and there's nothing wrong with doing it whatever way you want. Don't get hung up with "having" to do it a certain way.

That's kind of what I was asking about... I wanted to know if I could possibly be missing out by throwing out the blade every time I use it. Gruder suggests I might, so... contrary to my intuition about this, I'll try the same blade when I wake up. This is a moderator we're talking about, after all! All I'm scared of is: how many combinations could I possibly be missing out on?! Do I have enough time left in my life to try them all and actually find my best possible wet shave?!?!?

OK. Kidding aside. I'm delirious because I'm still awake (for those of you in the same time zone, I tend bar in NYC where last call is 4am, I got out of work at 5:30am, then spent the last three and a half hours perusing B&B, and I might have been drinking a little bit during that time) and it's time for me to go to bed to SWMBO, who has been asleep for many hours.

-Jeremy

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wow, so some people find a better shave on the second use of the same blade?

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

-Jeremy

Absolutely. I find the first shave on the harsh side. Sometimes when I'm forgetful I've used a blade for a week. My sweet spot is about five shaves. I have a goatee so maybe less usage per shave than some folk.

Just to update this thread, in case anyone who posted on it cares...

I tried using my Wilkinson Swords up to 4 times and still found the first shave to always be the best. Just ran out today, moving on to Derby's tomorrow. I'll try them one shave a blade for a few days, then try a few shaves on the same blade, see if it's different from blade to blade... but I just read elsewhere that the tougher your beard, the more it dulls the blades. My whiskers are thick and hard to cut through, so it seems to make sense that I get better results when the blade is fresh...

-Jeremy

Just keep making you way through blade sampler packs until you hit on the one that's best for you, then buy it in bulk.

Just to update this thread, in case anyone who posted on it cares...

I tried using my Wilkinson Swords up to 4 times and still found the first shave to always be the best. Just ran out today, moving on to Derby's tomorrow. I'll try them one shave a blade for a few days, then try a few shaves on the same blade, see if it's different from blade to blade... but I just read elsewhere that the tougher your beard, the more it dulls the blades. My whiskers are thick and hard to cut through, so it seems to make sense that I get better results when the blade is fresh...

-Jeremy

After trying tons of blades, I have settled on the derby blades and my experience is the 2nd and 3rd shaves are actually the best. The first is a tiny bit on the rough side but still very good, then I get 2 perfect BBS and then the 4th is doable but doesn't give the best results so I have settled on 3 shaves per derby.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would recommend that you try a razor blade sample pack. Trying a few blades would give you a better idea on what suits you best.

To answer the question, yes, you can throw it out after a shave, not a problem. Many, including myself, believe that shave #2 and sometimes #3 are better than shave #1.

For a long time I just tossed mine after every use. Now I find that I can get two comfortable shaves from a blade before tossing it. No reason to waste, so that's what I do now.

Sometimes blades will have little micro burrs on the edges right out of the pack. One shave should remove them so the next shave might be better. But that isn't an issue with all blades, or at least not to the same degree with all blades. I would imagine it's more likely to come up with either crummy blades or your econo type blades.

Personally, I have found that with high quality blades, the first shave is always the best. The reason is no blade is ever going to be as sharp as it was on the first go.

Once you find a blade that you really like and are set on using, buy it in bulk to save $.

I like switching out the blade every shave, it makes me feel indulgent and it's only 50 cents a day-- $3.50 a week.

This was the quote that jumped out at me and underlined just how different we all are. I feel terrible tossing something that hasn't been used up.

I have to hand it to you though, you are trying to test out what people are telling you.

- Chris

No problem tossing them after one use. Although I find Feathers and 7 O'clock Yellows are actually a bit better on the 2nd and 3rd shave than the first. I guess they smooth out a bit with use.

Just keep making you way through blade sampler packs until you hit on the one that's best for you, then buy it in bulk.

I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where there's tons of options to buy blades nearby, so I haven't ordered a blade sampler... Something about having bought all my new toys from a sales person at a physical store makes wet shaving more adventurous for me.

But yeah, I'm onto my Derbys. The first one was a much better shave, but I changed a few other aspects of my ritual so I'm going to give the Wilkinsons another shot after the Derbys run out to be sure. Whichever I like best (I'm leaning toward the Derbys) I'm going to stick with that for two weeks, then try Personnas (they're for sale a block from my house).

Exciting stuff. Thank God for this forum. My girlfriend finally snapped from exasperation today and told me she is tired of hearing me talk about wet shaving! (She loves the wet shaving, she's just tired of me talking about it)

-Jeremy

Top Bottom