What's new

Increase in hair roughness and growth since wet shaving

I am sure this has more to do with me being a 17 year old than anything, but a month into wet shaving and my usually full beard and facial hair has started growing back much much faster and is a lot rougher as well.

For instance, a 4 pass shave with a straight could last me well into the second day. Now by night fall I almost have enough for a nightly shave.

Is this just simply and age thing as I mature in to a full adult or has wet shaving had anything to do with it? Im guessing the first obviously, but I was curious to see if grown men experienced anything similar.

Thanks!

most probably the age thing, mine keeps getting thicker ans rougher till date (aged 23 at the moment)

you are also probably noticing it more now that you wet shave

The only portion of hair that is "alive" is in the folicle beneath the skin, hair above the folicle is nothing but dead cells; the folicle (which produces hair) has no interest in what happens to the dead cells you cut off and will not alter its production of new hair cells (live) which will puah the dead ones up and through the skin.

The condition you have is called maturation and is due to certain endocrine glands going into high gear, I will not say Tody, you are a man, but you sure as hell ain't a kid anymore

Welcome to the man club,
ken

I don't think a month is enough to notice. If your technique is improving to where you cut all of the hair more evenly, you might notice more hairs coming up at the same time. Before, you might have been cutting some deeper than others, maybe from using too much pressure and not enough finesse, so you were seeing some hairs come out sooner and others not appearing until later.

Fuzzy --

It's just that your beard is 'coming in'. The beard density will slowly increase until you're in your late 20's. (and the hair in your ears will sprout in your 50's :laugh: )

-- John Gehman

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The only portion of hair that is "alive" is in the folicle beneath the skin, hair above the folicle is nothing but dead cells; the folicle (which produces hair) has no interest in what happens to the dead cells you cut off and will not alter its production of new hair cells (live) which will puah the dead ones up and through the skin.

The condition you have is called maturation and is due to certain endocrine glands going into high gear, I will not say Today, you are a man, but you sure as hell ain't a kid anymore

Welcome to the man club,
ken

+2.
What he said.

And by jove, he said it well!

I'm feeling the same thing as you, being 17 and noticing my hair is just becoming more fuller and rougher. Just be glad we found out about wet shaving this early on! :thumbup1:

HAGS (Have a Good Shave!)

For what it's worth, I'm 28 and have noticed the exact same thing that you're talking about. My guess is it has to do with the fact that you are cutting the hair even with the skin so it seems to grow faster. This is in opposition to using a Fusion or a Mach 3 that actually pulls your hair to cut it and the uncut portion of the hair recedes below the skin slightly. It would give the illusion of a fuller beard and faster growth.

Hair in and on my ears in my twentys. Now thirty eight and saving up for laser hair removal. I could braid it if I let it go to far! Lol

Top Bottom