What's new

Toyota Recall

I would stay tuned to announcements if I owned any Toyota-built vehicle. Rumor has it that the problem is distributed across several components related in a system and the list of vehicles affected will continue to expand.

Wow, am I ever glad I traded my 09 corolla a few weeks ago. This is the second recall on them. The first one had to do with freezing break lines when it got below -20C.

Wow, am I ever glad I traded my 09 corolla a few weeks ago. This is the second recall on them. The first one had to do with freezing break lines when it got below -20C.

Lucky you! I almost bought a Nissan. Maybe I should have had.

Gotta love recalls. A few of my friends had their Pontiacs and Buicks recalled because a gasket could leak oil onto a heated surface and burst into flames, even when the car wasn't on.

As far as recalls go, though it may affect many vehicles, I don't consider it to be a gigantic dent in the quality of Toyota vehicles. On the optimistic side of things, this problem will create a nice buying price for Toyota stock and there is major money that can be made while the price rebounds.

proxy.php

I read the thread title as 'Total Recall'

Gotta love recalls. A few of my friends had their Pontiacs and Buicks recalled because a gasket could leak oil onto a heated surface and burst into flames, even when the car wasn't on.

As far as recalls go, though it may affect many vehicles, I don't consider it to be a gigantic dent in the quality of Toyota vehicles. On the optimistic side of things, this problem will create a nice buying price for Toyota stock and there is major money that can be made while the price rebounds.

Not a dent in quality? How do you figure? 6.5 million units recalled on this. They have known about this problem since 2007 but chose to do nothing. Last time I looked there was a total of 18 deaths and over 270 accidents so far from this. I think that is a huge dent in the quality of them. The people I know with toyota/lexus vehicles are scared for their like to drive them right now. That right there says something major.
This is not the first big safety problem for the auto maker either. On their trucks the cross members of the frame tends to rust out causing those parts to fall off the truck. That is also a recall but they dont tell the customer this when the truck is in for other service's.

Not a dent in quality? How do you figure? 6.5 million units recalled on this. They have known about this problem since 2007 but chose to do nothing. Last time I looked there was a total of 18 deaths and over 270 accidents so far from this. I think that is a huge dent in the quality of them. The people I know with toyota/lexus vehicles are scared for their like to drive them right now. That right there says something major.
This is not the first big safety problem for the auto maker either. On their trucks the cross members of the frame tends to rust out causing those parts to fall off the truck. That is also a recall but they dont tell the customer this when the truck is in for other service's.

Toyota is not the friendly company many of you may think it is.

They had a v6 engine oil sludge problem that they denied until it there was a class action suit on them...

Then the truck bed that shakes horribly down the rode. watch those videos on youtube. they told thier customers "it's a truck" get use to it...

then the new trucks...built tough???...in the owners maunual it tells you MOT to use the tailgate as a loading ramp. It will split or bow in the middle...this is on youtube, too.

A spokeperson for Consumer Reports was on the Today show and he said that toyota actually has been slipping in reliabilty and a couple of thier cars are not recommended anymore.

This is what happens when you build too many too quick...look out for Honda...slow and steady....

You might want to study up on the Ford Explorer tire problem from a few years back. Toyota will find someone to take the fall in the long run the same as Ford did. I was a tire buyer at the time, and know quite a bit about the tire design, selection, and manufacturing process. This was not a problem with the tire, it was a problem with the tire application.

That does not seem to be hurting Fords sales at the moment

A spokeperson for Consumer Reports was on the Today show and he said that toyota actually has been slipping in reliabilty and a couple of thier cars are not recommended anymore.

This is what happens when you build too many too quick...look out for Honda...slow and steady....

Yes, it seems like there have been several publicized Toyota quality lapses recently. And just today I read that there may be a problem with the brakes on the Prius. There was also an unflattering article in the N.Y. Times a couple of days ago detailing Toyota's poor response to the gas pedal issue.

It's amazing how quickly a reputation can change. In my mind, rightly or wrongly, I've always categorized Honda and Toyota as the two brands to go to if you just want a solid car that will give you the minimum number of problems. Right now I'm pretty glad we went for the Honda!

I'm in total agreement that Toyota has significant issues, both with quality and with their reaction to the problems. Having said that, I have no qualms or regrets regarding the excellent Lexus 350 we presently own.

Shame on Toyota; however, IMHO, they're not alone in the denial game:

We owned a GM vehicle several years ago that had a sticky throttle (my wife took out about 10 feet of our back yard fence); GM denied that it was a problem. We owned a Ford vehicle that had braking issues; Ford denied it was a problem.

Just when you thought Hondas were safe too...

Honda Recalls 646,000 Vehicles because of Windows
Honda Motor Co., has fallen 2.5 percent with the recent announcement of its biggest recall in seven years. The recall involved 646,000 Fit, City and Jazz cars because of faulty power window switches that can overheat, causing a fire if water gets into the housing unit.

Just when you thought Hondas were safe too...

Honda Recalls 646,000 Vehicles because of Windows
Honda Motor Co., has fallen 2.5 percent with the recent announcement of its biggest recall in seven years. The recall involved 646,000 Fit, City and Jazz cars because of faulty power window switches that can overheat, causing a fire if water gets into the housing unit.

You having fun there, pal? :smile:

Hondas are crap, mines the biggest pile of doo-doo I've ever bought, my 10 year old BMW was better than my 2 year old civic......

We've had Handbrake replacements, suspension replacement, windscreen seal replacements and lots more..... for over 20K I expected Japanese reliability, not British engineering....

Tom

Top Bottom