What's new

Does Alcohol=Barbicide?

So, my new vintage razors came in and I haven't gotten any barbicide yet. I do have some 70% alcohol laying around though, could I use that to sterilize the razors as well? They are by no means in mint condition, one is a Fatboy and the other is a gold ball end tech. Would alcohol even be safe to use on the razors? Thanks in advance

I was wondering the same thing. I would think that all the "bugs" would be dead by the time the razor was used. I think the alcohol would be alright for the purpose of making SURE all was sanitized. Barbasol is used in the Barbershops due to the close rotation of the customers and the need to kill the bugs before using that instrument on the next guy to sit in the chair.
I'm going to do the alcohol thing.

Bruce

Razors: Gillette Fat Boy – Parker 90R
Blades: Shark, 7AM
Shave Soap: Col Conk Bay Rum, Classic Shaving Lilac
Brush: Medium Best Badger
Mug: Classic Old Spice Mug
Aftershaves: Pinaud, Lustray, Polo, Dune (Christian Dior)

Life is short – enjoy the Ride!

Alcohol is most certainly safe to use on razors. It's also been stated that Scrubbing Bubbles or other bathroom tile cleaners that might be used will do their part to kill many nasties.

It sounds like you should be fine with your approach, given the situation.

Alcohol does not equal Barbicide though. Barbicide has more serious stuff working for it.

- Chris

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'll go with alcohol given the circumstances. Barbicide's active ingredient is Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride with a touch of sodium nitrate in a solution of water and ethyl alcohol. Most of the critters that will make you sick die quickly in open air . . . including Aids. Hepatitis can hang on a while but if a razor has not been used in a long while I'd not worry. But then again I'm an accountant not a doctor.

metal is not really the kind of place pathogens can live on for 30+ years... Im assuming you were cleaning these razors off a bit cosmetically before using them anyways, there is no doubt that even such a cleaning should put you 100% in the clear for safe use

Alcohol is an excellent antiseptic but it is not barbisol. The quartenary salt in barbisol kills viruses faster and can penetrate biofilms more effectively. For alcohol you can use any kind at 70% or stronger. Isopropanol is easiest to get but not everyone likes the smell. Denatured alcohol is great but harder to find. It's 100% usually. It has the real advantage that it will strip water off the blade and then evaporate with no residue. Methyl hydrate drys even faster and is easy to get from hardware stores, but is toxic and absorbs through skin and mucus membranes.
I always finish my shave by dipping my straight in denatured alcohol for 30 seconds while I splash and towel off, then I can put the razor away clean and dry.

barbacide is is soo cheap....when not use the 'big gun"?? I barbacide every "new" razor just be be on the safe side.

I would use it, but I never got around to buying some and I'm too excited to use my new razor to wait =P besides, why buy something else if you have alcohol lying around that will do the job just as well?

Check the active ingredients in Scrubbing Bubbles. Good. Now, check the active ingredients in Barbicide. Compare. Hmm... :001_cool:

I use both Barbicide and Scrubbing Bubbles.

I have come to like the smell of Scrubbing Bubbles and wonder if, perhaps, they should make an after shave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When I buy a used razor, I go through the following process;

24 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles
2 hour boil in CLR
Soak in Barbicide for 2 days
Scrub with toothbrush, toothpaste, alcohol and MAAS for at least 60 minutes
48 hours in the Autoclave
Another 1 hour boil in CLR and Vinegar
Just to be safe, I hit it with a Propane Torch with a full Rosette Tip.
I've done this with the 376 Razors I bought.
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

2 hour boil in CLR
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

Phil, I'm having a difficult time envisioning your sanitizing process for new razors. Would you be so kind as to create a video with narrative please?

Well, before I got this alcohol idea I would just soak my razors in pool acid until I saw a noticeable color change of the razor from silver to puke-brown. Then I'd know my cleaning process was almost done.

Denatured alcohol is great but harder to find. It's 100% usually. It has the real advantage that it will strip water off the blade and then evaporate with no residue.

I found that here in the States that Wally World carries Denatured Alcohol (aka methylated spirits, shellac thinner, marine stove fuel, liquid fondue fuel, chafing dish fuel) in the paint section and also Ace Hardware stores also carry it. I currently use the stuff for my backpack camp stove.

2 hour boil in CLR
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don't you do any radioactive treatment? I always nuke my razors with plutonium, preferably between passes.
You should watch out or your daredevil attitude will get you the cooties :blink:

After cleaning the razors with Scrubbing Bubbles (or its equivalent), wiping the surfaces down with rubbing alcohol will suffice.

Note that alcohol kills germs when it DRIES. Wiping it off, therefore, sort of defeats the purpose.

I put some on one of those cotton rounds my wife uses for her make-up removal, wipe the surfaces of the razor, and allow it to air dry. Good to go.

and yes, I am a doctor. Not only that, but I'm an infectious diseases subspeciallist. :thumbup:

So wait, I can use Denatured on razors and blades without a problem? I've always assumed it was more suited as marine fuel or as shellac thinner. I always kept a bottle of 90% around for razors. I have a big bottle of denatured around that I probably won't ever use up. Can I use it to clean razors once the 90% runs out?

Last edited:
barbacide is is soo cheap....when not use the 'big gun"?? I barbacide every "new" razor just be be on the safe side.

There's nothing "cheap" about it. Every legitimate retailer I see has prices ranging from at least $10 for the 16oz to $25 or more for the larger sizes, and thus doesn't include $3-$4 extra for shipping since no one I know sells it locally.

Whereas, I can get a 16oz bottle of 70% alchohol for $2 and a jug of bleach for a buck. Either one on their own can do just about the same sterilzation job; do one pass of each and can't imagine anything living on a razor.

Jeff in Boston

Top Bottom