What's new

Drawn to Shavemac & a Question!

OK, I've been dragging my feet when it comes to buying my first brush. Ask the wonderful gents who have offered me one and they'll tell you!

After much looking and reading, I find myself being drawn to the Shavemac. I have nothing to compare to, as I've never owned a brush. I just like the way they look! They also seem to have a good reputation.

Now for my question: The Shavemac site has a Finest Badger line and a Finest Badger ECO line. Other than price, what is the difference? I couldn't find anything there to explain.

I feel strongly that I'd like to own a Shavemac in finest or silvertip. I haven't decided on the finish but I seem to be leaning away from white/ivory. Anybody have one they'd like to part with for a nice newbie price? :laugh:

I believe the ECO stands for 'economy' meaning that they are cheaper than the standard Shavemacs.
While most Shavemacs are 100% handmade with hand-tied knots, I believe that the ECO line uses machine-made knots, thus the metal ring around the base.

If you're thinking about your first high quality brush, I would recommend a custom Shavemac in Finest - pick your favorite handle, and then email Bernd and tell him you'd like it with a 20mm knot & 45mm loft.

Andy did a great writeup on these:
A (possibly) New Idea for Short-Loft Shavemacs

I believe the ECO stands for 'economy' meaning that they are cheaper than the standard Shavemacs.
While most Shavemacs are 100% handmade with hand-tied knots, I believe that the ECO line uses machine-made knots, thus the metal ring around the base.

If you're thinking about your first high quality brush, I would recommend a custom Shavemac in Finest - pick your favorite handle, and then email Bernd and tell him you'd like it with a 20mm knot & 45mm loft.

+1. Great advice. You'll be perfectly happy with Finest. It's actually a Silvertip grade. (thanks for the compliment, Hunter.)

-Andy

Yeah, the ECO has to do with the way its manufactured. Their not as good as the regular, and the price difference is not all that great.

I'd stay away from the ECO's.

I have taken the advice! I've just sent an inquiry to Bernd at Shavemac. I can't wait to hear back! Thanks, guys!

Randy

Top Bottom