What's new

Help Needed To Date A Safety Razor

I have, what I'll refer to as a "jailhouse" razor. I've had it as well as the key since the mid 70's. I'm attempting to date the razor as well as to ascertain what, if any, collectors value it may have. The marking I have found on the razor are as below:

On the handle side of the body there is a capital letter T approximately 1/2 line below Reg US and below that is the Gillette logo. These markings are on the upper and lower right, respectively.

On the upper right side it is marked PAT. OFF. and the number 3 approximately 1/2 of a line below that. Lastly on the lower right side is Marcas Regs.

Hopefully, some one may be able to help me with this or refer me to a source where I can get more information. The razor came from a Federal Penitentiary and has clearly been well used.

Thanks in advance.

You have the "Psycho" Tech razor. Your's was made in 1948. Actually the key is more rare then the razor as only one key was made for every 10 razors. It was used in prisons and asylums wherever there was danger of using the blade as a weapon. That's a good collectible.

Len

You have the "Psycho" Tech razor. Your's was made in 1948 1973 . Actually the key is more rare then the razor as only one key was made for every 10 razors. It was used in prisons and asylums wherever there was danger of using the blade as a weapon. That's a good collectible.

Len

More of a curio these days, though you could put it rotation as a shaver.

-- John Gehman

Thanks for the feed back guys! I was never in prison per se, but I did 30 years on the installment plan, if you get my drift. When they were throwing out the old jailhouse Gillettes and started using Bic disposables, I just couldn't resist temptation. I keep it on a shelf with my Grandfathers shaving mug, which is really just a heavy coffee cup and his shaving brush, which probably only cost him a buck or so, if even that much.

I would be careful dating safety razors. Sounds like you could get similar results as if you were kissing porcupines.

More of a curio these days, though you could put it rotation as a shaver.

-- John Gehman

Sir, can you refer me to a site or resource on dating Gillette Safety razors? I've got a couple more that I'd like to get additional information on.

And, by the way, I have used it to shave and it does an admirable job! Then again, I don't have a very course beard, but I've been shaving my head for going on 16 years and it does that well also!

Top Bottom