What's new

newbie: first time DE bought vintage blades, blades a bit rusty - safety concern?

Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for about a week and bought my first DE today, it is a gillette tech (rectangle holes) and I also bought a package of vintage blades from the same antique dealer. The blades were wrapped in their original plastic so I assumed they would be fine but when I got them home unfortunately they were rusted. The rust is not super intense but I am a bit worried about safety concerns, ex: tetanus etc. (I have heard tetanus is not actually caused by rust so this is why I ask).

I have tried soaking in CLR and WD40, I am just worried those will also somehow dull the blade ?

I did buy a large number of these so I am heavily invested in them, which is why I am trying to find a way to salvage and use them if I can

I will attach some photos

any advice ? should I just go ahead and use them? as long as I don't die or contract any diseases I really dont mind...

Welcome!

I would not use a blade that shows rust: its edge is probably flawed too. Depending on where you are, you may be able to buy some new blades from a local store. Otherwise you can certainly mail order a blade sampler from a reputable vendor in the US, Europe, or Asia.

Since you mention WD40 I shall assume that you are in the US. The http://westcoastshaving.com/ sampler packs are good. If you aren't willing to wait for delivery then you could try a local Walmart or another store that sells DE blades. Mail order is probably a better deal, though: drugstores sometimes charge as much as $1 per blade, which does not represent a good value.

Thanks for all the quick responses! just a bit more information:

although is it not evident from the photos - from a visual inspection most of the blades seem to have the rust concentrated near the middle, barely on the actual blade cutting area itself. Also my main concern here is death and disease (not shave quality), I will be picking up a few different sampler packs online in the coming weeks - so I just want to know if I can use these in the meantime and not die/be poisoned :)

Are you up to date on your tetanus shots?

point taken of course - but since tetanus is not actually caused by rust, instead by a bacteria, I believe there is only a microscopic chance of contracting it through the use of these blades.

This bacteria (in the wild) is most often found where rust, dirt and soil are plentiful - which is why we take care not to step on rusty nails at the cottage etc... but this rule does not apply to all rust, just better to avoid it (better safe than sorry)

But then again, instead of being paranoid of the rust, I want to look at this problem as critically as possible (this is 100 blades we're talking about :)

I doubt there would be any of this bacteria present on these blades even rusty, nor do I think it would survive a bath in CLR even if it was present to begin with... however this is my life and well being on the line...

so any doctors/biologists around that can shed some light on this?

even if I don't end up using the razors, it would be cool to have known the what if scenario :)

Last edited:
Also my main concern here is death and disease (not shave quality), I will be picking up a few different sampler packs online in the coming weeks - so I just want to know if I can use these in the meantime and not die/be poisoned :)

Welcome to B&B!

Tetanus is bacterial, the wound just provides a way for the bacteria to enter the body. Given the condition that the blades are in, I don't think that you would get a very good shave from them either.

Most of the chain drugstores (larger locations) still sell DE blades. (ASR rebranded for the store, sometimes Gillette) The ASR are not my favorite, but they are ok, and I think that you will get a better shave from them than the vintage.

I'm intrigued by this...

You may be better off just keeping these blades for display purposes. Where were they made? Does the box say anything about the blades? Based on the photo, I doubt they are stainless steel.

Please tell us you paid less than $10 for the 100 blades.

Welcome. Don't use those blades. You don't need a doctor to tell you not to use them. The rust on the blades is screaming, "DON'T USE ME." Tell you what -- call your doctor's office and say, "I have 100 rusty razor blades. Do you think I should shave with them?" Guess what their answer will be? It doesn't matter if you bought 1, 100, or 1000. Don't use them. If you don't want to wait for your blade sampler to arrive, go to Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, or any other large drug store and buy a pack of DE blades there. They probably won't be as good as what you find in your sampler pack, but they will be leaps and bounds better and safer than what you bought at the antique shop.

As evryone has said, Don't use them!

I'm sure most of us have got blades with razors we buy on tha bay, I have about 40 of them, most sealed. What do I do with them?? I just keep them in the blade holders.

I don't take risks with that.

I'm intrigued by this...

You may be better off just keeping these blades for display purposes. Where were they made? Does the box say anything about the blades? Based on the photo, I doubt they are stainless steel.

Please tell us you paid less than $10 for the 100 blades.

bah! I didn't :( I paid $25, I had bargained the guy down from his asking price of $35. Ill throw up a pic of the box.

They are "Elephant Blades", it doesn't say from what they are made but they are German blades made in the town of Solingen. No idea how old these are.. but the styling of the box indicates they are quite old!

as you can see in the first two photos each individual pack is still sealed in its original plastic

third photo shows the pack after the plastic has been removed. I was sure they'd be fine since they had always been sealed but I guess not...

I figured I was getting a good deal as $25 for 100 blades is pretty decent, especially since the only place I have found them locally sells Wilkinson and Sword DE 10 packs for $16.99

I just graduated from university last month, haven't found a job and ive got 50,000$ in debt, so even though $25 doesn't seem like much, it really kills my DE budget for the next little while, bummer!

I don't think the photos came through.

My advice to you is put the blade back in the wrapper, and back in the box.

Then try to sell them on Ebay as collectibles, with a buy it now price of $35.

Also, PM your address and I will PIF you a 10 pack of blades.

bah! I didn't :( I paid $25, I had bargained the guy down from his asking price of $35. Ill throw up a pic of the box.

They are "Elephant Blades", it doesn't say from what they are made but they are German blades made in the town of Solingen. No idea how old these are.. but the styling of the box indicates they are quite old!

as you can see in the first two photos each individual pack is still sealed in its original plastic

third photo shows the pack after the plastic has been removed. I was sure they'd be fine since they had always been sealed but I guess not...

I figured I was getting a good deal as $25 for 100 blades is pretty decent, especially since the only place I have found them locally sells Wilkinson and Sword DE 10 packs for $16.99

I just graduated from university last month, haven't found a job and ive got 50,000$ in debt, so even though $25 doesn't seem like much, it really kills my DE budget for the next little while, bummer!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I don't know where you're shopping, but I would laugh at any shop that tried to sell me 10 DE blades for 17 bucks!

You can buy Personna Blades at Walmart, 10 blades for $1.80, and that is a bit steep as far as blades go.
You can buy top quality blades in bulk for much cheaper than that on line from reputable dealers.

I suggest you sell these to collectors on Ebay and try to re-coup your money.

In the meantime, go spend the $1.80 on the Walmart blades.
It'll save you the Health Insurance Co-Pay from having to visit the clinic after you use those blades.

I don't know where you're shopping, but I would laugh at any shop that tried to sell me 10 DE blades for 17 bucks!

Canada sucks :)

and none of the Walmarts in my city (of 1million + inhabitants) stock DE blades :( oddly they do sell Williams soap and W&S brushes...

Anyone from Ottawa on here? if so any suggestions where to buy local ?

Top Bottom