What's new

Dry red wines

Just what the title says. I drink wine, but exclusively dry reds. Anything sweet I just don't enjoy, regardless the quality. So I'm interested in everyone's favorite Dry Reds. If they're reasonable, that's a bonus.

I'm having a bottle of the local winery's standard table right now. Nittany Mt. Red.

My favorite dry red is aged Bordeaux, preferably Pauillac. I also enjoy California Cabernet, Syrah and Pinot Noir as well as Italian Brunello di Montalcino.

Last edited:
There are many ... "depends".

Frr a always pleasant dry red, I have found that that an Italian red comes through. Most are simply more table freindly and few are bad. I would start there.

Second, I have been on a study of Chilean reds and wow ... cheap and delicious.

One of the most underrated and unknown great values in red wine out there is Marietta Old Vine Red. It is numbered in batches and it is well into the forties or beyond for batch numbers. I have been drinking it since batch 5. It is price in the 12 to 15 dollar range and each batch is a little different but all have been very good and a few of them outstanding at any price. Well worth the effort to find. This is a case purchase item for me and I always have a lot of it on hand.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
My last couple years have been mostly Shiraz or Syrah, lighter than the old Cabs but drier, at least to my palate. Usually less expensive than a similar Cabernet, but in wines as always ymmv :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm penciled in to share this bottle with my friend next week, but I'm pretty sure I won't be feeling up to it by then. We'll have to reshcedule, as has too often been the case recently. :cursing:
proxy.php

I'm penciled in to share this bottle with my friend next week, but I'm pretty sure I won't be feeling up to it by then. We'll have to reshcedule, as has too often been the case recently. :cursing:
proxy.php

Wow.

OP: I'm partial to Zinfandel--Dry and Tannic. :001_tt1:

Ouch, you are definitely fortunate; during the 70s I drank a considerable amount of Burgundy and La Tache was outstanding. Back then if I remember correctly it was $28 a bottle vs. $16 for Dom Perignon; ah the days of wine & roses sic transit gloria. Enjoy it and think kindly of us less fortunates whilst ye do so. Pinot Noir is probably my favorite red wine nowadays but I'm not hidebound so I will drink any decent red.

I'm a big wino and picked up a jewel (for me). A 2005 Chateau Larmande magnum. Pretty lesser known chateau but GREAT stuff.

Other than that I've been drinking a lot of Cali Pinot and cab blends.

I'm a big wino and picked up a jewel (for me). A 2005 Chateau Larmande magnum. Pretty lesser known chateau but GREAT stuff.

Other than that I've been drinking a lot of Cali Pinot and cab blends.

Which Cali pinots? My current favorites are Rhys (and Alesia), Anthill, Joseph Swan, Porter Creek, Windy Oaks, and maybe Copain.

Clos Pepe Pinot has been my favorite for years. I consider Wes, their winemaker, a friend and love visiting Lompoc.

I'm also really into Loring and Siduri. Not a huge fan of WA pinots but the Siduri Chehalem is really good juice!

And pretty much anything from Cargasachi vineyard. Up in Napanoma I really like Flowers and down further south I like Au Bon Climat.

Not worth the $ IMO but Foley makes some pretty good stuff too.

Clos Pepe Pinot has been my favorite for years. I consider Wes, their winemaker, a friend and love visiting Lompoc.

I'm also really into Loring and Siduri. Not a huge fan of WA pinots but the Siduri Chehalem is really good juice!

And pretty much anything from Cargasachi vineyard. Up in Napanoma I really like Flowers and down further south I like Au Bon Climat.

Not worth the $ IMO but Foley makes some pretty good stuff too.

I like Clos Pepe pinots as well. Wes' enthusiasm for grape growing is infectious.

Loring and Siduri make good wines, but stylistically, they aren't in my preferred range in general. I suppose I'd prefer Siduri over Loring. Adam and Brian are both good guys though.

I love that 2 years ago Brian (Loring) showed up to the Clos Pepe summer BBQ and poured his LWC "clos pepe" pinot strictly from 16oz plastic water bottles with custom labels. Awesome! and so true to his personality.

We should do a B&B SF "locals" wine tasting night. "Open that bottle" night is coming up soon!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually try to get my wine from the winemaker directly. You can often sample the wine when you're there and visit the place.

I know this is not always an option or easy to do.

In the favorite wines, Spanish wines from Rioja. Italian wines are great. Southern France. Australian wines (of course). If I have the room, I'll make it. Preservative free, of course!

Although expensive, the high-end Trapiche Malbecs are awesome. I had some a few weeks back when a bunch of my friends and I had a tasting. I also can't say enough good things about the Southern Rhone valley (Cotes du Rhone, CdR-Villages, and Chateaneuf-du-Pape).

I just want to put in a general plug for light red wines, since my American friends tend to disdain them in principle, or simply not know about them. And yet these are wonderful food wines and, in their own way, achieve great subtlety and character. But, like DE shaving, they have to be studied and learned. I am speaking of the wines of the Loire Valley (Touraine, Chinon, Bourgueil, Sancerre, Saumur Champigny, and others) plus the red wines of Alsace, and some Burgundies (for example, Irancy). And while Beaujolais in general is undrinkable, some of the Northern wines can be quite good (Morgon, Julienas, Saint Amour, and others). So please - give them a try!

Top Bottom