What's new

I'd like a shaving scuttle, but I don't really know what to get / where to get it

1. Sorry for long title:ohmy:

2. Basically what the title says. I've seen a few scuttles on different sites, and I've narrowed it down to something like a normal bowl with another bowl "around it" to keep hot water inside. As for size, whatever fits a 24mm brush 60mm loft. My current "one bowled" bowl has d=11cm in the bottom, and d=13cm on the top. I've found that this works nicely with both my brushes, so anything in apprx that size should work.

So if anyone has any reference to any sites / vendors or something like that, perhaps even recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Keeping the heat is a quite important ability the scuttle should possess.

Is that enough information? Its colour should be within reason:001_rolle

-Compaq-

I had one custom made. Here is a link to the thread where I posted some photos of it. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113202. This one would probably be on the small size for you, but I'm pretty sure the potter would be willing to accommodate you. If you're interested, then send me a PM and I'll give you his contact information. I'm sure others will be along shortly recommending variously the Moss and the DirtyBird scuttles. Unfortunately, I can't offer any comparisons to those as this is the only one I have. But I can say that this one works wonderfully!

The Moss is the scuttle i have and it gets a big thumbs up, have heard good things about the DB too, but some people say both these scuttles are a bit on the expensive side, though if you are willing to pay for them check them out.

I'm in the process of designing a scuttle for myself I've mixed lather in every likely looking bowl in the kitchen to get a feel for what size mixing bowl I want and found a size and shape and depth that is right for me I'm having a few special features built into it, my present scuttle holds 12 ounces of water I'm shooting for 16 I'm also looking on how the bowl interior will be finished I'm opting for something other than the usual grooves. My potter is right now offering a reasonable price around $25 but it may go up as I personalize it so finding a local potter may be an option

If your wanting one of the mainline scuttles after reviewing all the scuttles I'm thinking the dirty bird 1.5 might be a good choice the georgetown g5 seems to be getting underwhelming reviews that boil down to it being adequate but not outstanding although it is a work of art in appearance, the Moss is my favorite looks wise but it's lathering bowl even in the large is to me a bit small. The dirty bird 1.5 is just a tad large for my taste but everyone who owns one swear by them not at them LOL there is a guy making poured scuttles on e-bay hie selection is hit or miss but his products work as advertised. as to these comments these are my opinions and "ymmv"

Hopefully this post helps and doesn't muddy the water for you

I have a G5 scuttle from georgetownpottery.com, and love it! To be fair, it's more just efficient in my humble opinion to use a scuttle than a mug in a bowl of warm water but not that much more effective... I prefer having an uncluttered counter, and the G5 looks great with the decor! Put some rubber feet on the bottom to keep your counter from getting scraped up, I used those rubber rings that go inside garden hose ends and some supergule, and it worked great for me!

I have a G5 scuttle from georgetownpottery.com, and love it! To be fair, it's more just efficient in my humble opinion to use a scuttle than a mug in a bowl of warm water but not that much more effective... I prefer having an uncluttered counter, and the G5 looks great with the decor! Put some rubber feet on the bottom to keep your counter from getting scraped up, I used those rubber rings that go inside garden hose ends and some supergule, and it worked great for me!

+1 on the Georgetown!

I really like the idea for the non-scratch too.

If you want to go on the cheap, Amazon sells a dip chiller for about $12.00.
Works fine for me. I also look forward to using it for dip, next time I throw a party.:001_tongu

For heat retention, large Moss from Sara Bonnyman Pottery.

To lather in (but sacrifice some heat retention), Georgetown G5.

Dirtybird makes a brush scuttle/lather bowl combination that might be the best of both worlds, but I haven't tried it personally.

Not long ago, someone did a side by side comparison with the Moss, Dirty Bird, and current version of the Georgetown scuttle. The result was that the Moss and Dirty Bird (best value), as I remember, retained heat about the same, but the Georgetown retained heat less effectively.

My experience is with a Dirty Bird brush scuttle (no handle), and it was wonderful. It's also the most reasonably priced option, I think. However, it's not quite big enough for a 24mm brush, imo. I would go with one of the Dirty Bird Scuttles (with a handle). The 1.5, perhaps.

EDIT: Found the review thread!

-Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom