What's new

Merkur classic open comb

I just bought a Merkur classic 1904 open comb.I am still waiting for the razor ,has any one here owned or used one of these. If so could you please give me some much needed feedack.

Thanks,
David

I just bought a Merkur classic 1904 open comb.I am still waiting for the razor ,has any one here owned or used one of these. If so could you please give me some much needed feedack.

Thanks,
David

Don't take this the wrong way, but most people get feedback before the purchase. :001_smile

I have a Barber Pole Open Comb and it gives very good shaves. Is it as good as the Slant? No, but then no Double Edge really is, in my opinion.

I believe, although I could be mistaken, that the head is the same, and the difference is the length and weight of the handle. The 1904 is a fine razor.

Yeah I did that a little backwards ,but in my defense. I just fell in love with they way the razor looks first,I admit it. Now I need to find out if someone can tell me about them. LOL

Right now im using derbys, but I just ordered some feathers and some lords.

Well, when you try the Feather blades, think to what my friend EndCycle said below"

Well, I tried it twice. I gave it my best effort. No pressure. Great prep.

The feather tried to kill me. It is not made of steel - it's pure, concentrated evil in a small form. It giggled at me as it sliced and diced. Two passes of utter hell.

Feather, I detest thee.
Back to Derby I go.

He would later post that he only shaves with them.

D-E Dave--

You have picked an excellent razor that will give you very comfortable shaves. I started with the Merkur HD and later got the 1904 OC. Had I known how nice the 1904 was I would have skipped the HD.

I have a very modest collection--a few Superspeeds, Techs and a couple of OLD style Gillette open combs. Shavewise--the 1904 is my favorite razor. It always gives me the most comfortable close shaves. I use Derbys 90% of the time. I did not care for Feathers in the 1904--but Astra Platinums are spectacular in it...

You made a very good choice!

Marty E.

I own one. I find it one of my best razors. A close, comfortable shave while still being a pretty forgiving razor. I think you will enjoy it.

I have 2, the safety bar and the open comb.

The 1904 is my go to razor, after trying about 12 different razors. I use the open comb if I have a 2 or 3 day growth of beard. Other than that I use the safety bar. If I have 2 days or more of beard I use the open comb for the first pass, WTG. then the safety bar for any other passes and any water cleanup.

I think the 1904 is the best DE I've ever used, but that's IMHO. :thumbup1:

Let us know how it goes. And I agree with you on its looks - it's one handsome razor and a great shaver. I never had a problem with the grip as long as I wasn't covered with lather!

Top Bottom