What's new

differnce in shave between single and double edge

They are both fantastic shavers.:wink2: It all comes down to personal preference. I would say the S/E is closer but not by much.

this is just a total guess, and a "i think i read this somewhere," but i think with a SE, you can get a steeper angle.

this is totally unverifiable, though

I've only completed my second Single-Edge shave, but so far I'm liking it better than my DE. The SE blades are a bit thicker, and with the angled head it's a bit different to hold. It's hard to describe, but I really like the feel of the SE compared to the DE. As always, YMMV.

The SE blade is definitely more firm but in the end I think it is just a matter of personal preference. I enjoy a SE shave from time to time and have recently started down the road to straight razor shaves but I'm primarily a DE shaver (at the moment).

I was a DE shaver but my friend sent me a Star SE Razor for gift then i tried SE.. Woow perfect close and smooth shave... Now im very happy to shave with SE.. im using Ted Pella PTFE coated SE blades.. one blade last me 7 days usually. of course these are my opinions...
Regards.
Melyus

I prefer SE to DE. Could be for a couple of reasons...
  1. The blades are stiffer
  2. The design of the razor itself
Probably a combination of both.

Now for the intangible .. I like the looks of the lather catchers! Very Jules Verne looking. He did live to 1905 so he could have had one in his later years!

It probably needs a little more care with a SE shave but it is very close.

On the downside there isn't as wide a choice of blades available ....although this makes it less difficult to find your favourite blade. :wink2:

The blades may work out a little more expensive as well.

Last edited:
The single edge's I have are much more aggressive compared to the DEs, but I haven't tried many different SE, just a GEM Micromatic!

I've got a GEM Junior and I love it, although I only have a couple of shaves under my belt with it. I wouldn't say it's terribly aggressive but it gives a fantastic shave. It's a little tricky to get underneath my nose but other than that it's far more maneuverable than it looks. It also gives really good audible and tactile feedback during the shave. It's a really tough call between the GEM and my Tech as far as which is my favorite razor. I guess I'll just have to shave more with them and see which comes out on top.

The single edge's I have are much more aggressive compared to the DEs, but I haven't tried many different SE, just a GEM Micromatic!

Please don't judge SE's in general by an experience with a Micromatic. Many people have found some models of the Micromatic to be very aggressive compared to other SE's. There are several varients of the Micromatic and even all of them don't shave the same as each other.

The majority of folks who prefer the SE over the DE will likely tell you about their great experience with the 1912 patent models. I don't really disagree with them; the 1912 is a great razor, but my personal preference is it's predecessor, 1900/1901 patent Gem Jr. Bar Razor. I personally feel that this was the very best of safety razor design. After 55 or so years of trying many models of DE's, SE's, injectors and cartridge razors, I now use a Gem Jr. Bar Razor every morning.

Regards,
Tom

Please don't judge SE's in general by an experience with a Micromatic. Many people have found some models of the Micromatic to be very aggressive compared to other SE's. There are several varients of the Micromatic and even all of them don't shave the same as each other.

The majority of folks who prefer the SE over the DE will likely tell you about their great experience with the 1912 patent models. I don't really disagree with them; the 1912 is a great razor, but my personal preference is it's predecessor, 1900/1901 patent Gem Jr. Bar Razor. I personally feel that this was the very best of safety razor design. After 55 or so years of trying many models of DE's, SE's, injectors and cartridge razors, I now use a Gem Jr. Bar Razor every morning.

Regards,
Tom

+1

And then there are the milder razors like the Push Button, Featherweight, and G-Bar. Let's also not forget the Auto-Strope either.

I get a substantially better/smoother face shave using a slant + Derby than I do from a 1912 + GEM PTFE. I do however get outstanding headshaves using this SE setup.

on the face the SE seems tuggy and rough. I have a pre-owned G-Bar which I haven't as yet cleaned up and sterilised, might give that a go shortly.

proxy.php
proxy.php
Single edge
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I think the lack of blade choice is an upside. The few blade choices all work well. You don't have to get a sampler. One blade doesn't work better in a different model SE.

SE shaving is a different experience. As far as agressiveness goes, my GEM Micromatic 1912 is more agressive than most DE razors that I own (with the exception of the Muhle R41 which I only use occassionally), while my Everready SE is very mild in comparison. There is definitely a different angle you need to use when using a SE razor. I nicked myself up the first time I used my Micromatic, but now it gives me very smooth BBS shaves. The only thing I don't like is that the blades don't last as long because you are only use one side of the blade for every stroke, but I love SE shaving and plan on adding to my collection later this year. Go for it

SE shaves much more like a straight.

The blade is also much stiffer
+1

The MicroMatic Clog-Pruf is a very efficient razor. It gives, smooth, long lasting, comfortable shaves. I also enjoy the Open Comb MicroMatic, possibly the most aggressive SE GEM ever made. I really can't speak highly enough of the MicroMatics; I believe future historians will mark the decline and fall of Western Civilization from the day the decision was made to cease production.

DE is a safety razor

SE is a straight on a stick

The Future wide open is also considered a straight on a stick.

Top Bottom