What's new

One too many passes?

So here's a few questions in one as I'm trying to figure out DE Shaving. If you notice during your first WTG pass that you've already thrown down a few nicks, do you not do a second pass? It's only my 5th shave with a DE and really chewed my neck up. Good prep (hot shower, had some softening conditioner on my face in the shower, later combo of Classic Shaving soap and DR Harris Lavender cream, nice slick lather). Using a 38C loaded with a Derby (on it's 2nd shave). I won't pretend the technique was all that good when it came to shave, but it a nice SLOW shave with what seemed like zero pressure other that the substantial weight of the 38c. By the time it hit my neck with the Alum Block (Cheeks were fine) it stung more than it has in the pass. Not a ton, but 4 or 5 good nicks. My initial reaction was that the Derby blade was just too dull...but I'm thinking I should have quit while I was ahead with one not so great WTG pass and waited til tomorrow to pick it up again.

Also, where does a "weeper" stop and "nick" begin?

Thanks guys.

I'd try a different bade, if you're getting the same result on your neck after multiple shaves. Otherwise it's probably your technique. I occasionally get weepers on my sensitive neck (never on my face). Try a Personna (red pack) if you have one. Very smooth blade that works fine for most folks. I was tearing my neck up with Derbys too when I first started. I took way too long to try a different blade. "Weeper" = hard to see the source of blood after you remove the blood. "Nick" = actual cut that you can see. Those are just my definitions, btw.

Welcome, and good luck.

-Andy

Also, where does a "weeper" stop and "nick" begin?

Freeflyer --

A weeper is a 'scrape' and the nick is a 'cut'. You'll figure it out. Given a little practice, both will be a memory and rarely experienced.

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you join us.

-- John Gehman

Your skin will take some time getting used to the DE and your technique will also get better in time. Be patient. Also, make sure you don't pull your skin too taut as it can lead to ingrowns.

If you notice during your first WTG pass that you've already thrown down a few nicks, do you not do a second pass

I usually stop immediately upon experiencing any nicks, cuts, irritation, etc. Since I'm a beginner I'm striving for irritation free as opposed to BBS. Recently because of some travel I wasn't able to shave for a day and when I did shave my irritation was non-existent and it hasn't returned. I don't know if its the same for everyone but if I have any serious nicks or irritation it seems to do me good to lay off of shaving for one day and let everything heal up. If I just continue on shaving like I do everyday, then the irritation just remains and sometimes gets worse.

when i got my sampler pack derby's and personna's gave me the worst shaves. I use Astra now, its a lot sharper in my opinion. Im a lean guy with a defined jaw line and shaving that area is a real ***** sometimes. I know what u mean.

Freeflyer --

A weeper is a 'scrape' and the nick is a 'cut'. You'll figure it out. Given a little practice, both will be a memory and rarely experienced.

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you join us.

-- John Gehman

Thanks mate. I didn't even know. Lol

I second the notion to try different blades. Derby's always sucked for me no matter what. They just dragged and made me more likely to nick myself.
Other than that, I'd say look at the grain of your beard again. I remember I used to think I knew the grain of my beard, but was surprised to find little patches that were actually different. If you're going ATG even in a small area with some serious growth, you're likely to have some trouble, so make sure that your WTG is actually WTG.
Good luck!

Yeah, change that blade. Two lousy shaves in a row should tell you that that blade is not for you.

When you mention passes, sometimes more is not better. When I started wet shaving I was doing 4 passes and getting lots of irritation. I dropped down to 3 and the irritation got better, but was still there. I finally hit on just doing 2 passes, WTG, and ATG, followed by some water clean-up, and for me this was the magic combo. You'll just have to experiment and find out what works best for you.

As for the weepers, well they usually stop either with your clean-up or after you apply your AS or balm. Weepers usually don't even leave a mark. A cut will probably need some styptic to stop, and there will be a mark until it heals.

Recently because of some travel I wasn't able to shave for a day and when I did shave my irritation was non-existent and it hasn't returned. I don't know if its the same for everyone but if I have any serious nicks or irritation it seems to do me good to lay off of shaving for one day and let everything heal up. If I just continue on shaving like I do everyday, then the irritation just remains and sometimes gets worse.
I am the same way.

Top Bottom