What's new

Made Rite History

Does anyone know the name of the company that makes the Made Rite brand brushes? Is it Made Rite Company? I've searched on the web but only come up with a food distributor. I have a Made Rite brush that was my father's. Just curious about the history.

Last edited:
Last fall I found a Erskine #98 shaving brush in almost new coondition. I have researched and asked about Erskine shaving brushes on this forum and several others. I have not received many responses. I know I found one (green handle) for sale on EBAY and I believe Schwert over in Seattle just picked up one. There does not seem to be a lot of information on the vintage shaving brushes such as Made Rite or Erskine.

Perhaps it is time to add this subject to the Shaving Brush forum as a sub forum, or as a seperate thread. I'm hoping that as time goes on we can build up a data base for these old brushes. I know there a number of forum members that have lot of knowledge about certain brands of brushes. Perhaps that would be the place to start by adding to their garnered knowledge. Doug Rosso

Interesting idea. Given the level of knowledge on this site, it's possible that someone has been doing research. Not sure what the next thing would be; maybe request the moderators to add a sub forum? I'll try to do that over the next day or so and see if they have any interest. Thanks.

Last fall I found a Erskine #98 shaving brush in almost new coondition. I have researched and asked about Erskine shaving brushes on this forum and several others. I have not received many responses. I know I found one (green handle) for sale on EBAY and I believe Schwert over in Seattle just picked up one. There does not seem to be a lot of information on the vintage shaving brushes such as Made Rite or Erskine.

Perhaps it is time to add this subject to the Shaving Brush forum as a sub forum, or as a seperate thread. I'm hoping that as time goes on we can build up a data base for these old brushes. I know there a number of forum members that have lot of knowledge about certain brands of brushes. Perhaps that would be the place to start by adding to their garnered knowledge. Doug Rosso
I submitted Doug's suggestion to the Mods. Doug, I did not cc you on original (sorry) but did so in a follow up. It's a great idea. Let's see what they think.

That is a very good idea. I'm very interested in the manufacturing of vintage shaving brushes, but so far I've restored one Rubberset brush, "Star" model, but I have a Ever ready and other Rubberset on my way and I also find the Made Ride appealing.
As for the European vintage shaving brushes, as far as I could find, one of the great brands of the past was the German brand Victoria.

Perhaps it is time to add this subject to the Shaving Brush forum as a sub forum, or as a seperate thread. I'm hoping that as time goes on we can build up a data base for these old brushes.

The only research I've noticed here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109533 on the "Ever-Ready" brand. And even it seems to be hit and miss. No real facts on model numbers as they equate to construction....at least that was what I noticed when I first started to follow the thread....maybe a better pattern has been found since then. At least there were quite a few pics of the various model numbers members have picked up. I have several in various stages of resto that I will post on the thread soon.

As far as Erskine, MadeRite, Klenzo, Stag etc., I think they should all be photo cataloged with whatever information we can give to them. I have found little to no information on the various vintage brushes online, and this could wind up being the only/best place to find out about your great grandfathers brush you found in a box!

I find the vintage brushes with their multitude of colors/shapes infinitely more interesting than current production brushes. I also think as a shaving community we should take on the task of trying to preserve/document these old brushes.

Tracy

Yesterday, after I posed the question about the establishment of a Vintage Shaving Brush forum, I did some thinking about how such a forum would take shape, to catalog the various vintage brush manufactures.

Another one of my interests is tactical rifle shooting. Part of that interest is 22 long rifle, match rifles (Anschutz, Remington 40X, CZ 452's, Russian Ishmash CM-2, Ruger heavy barrel 10/22's and TOZ Biathlon rifles). Part of that interest includes 22 LR tactical training rifles. The Rimfire Community is quite extensive with worldwide participation. Rimfirecentral.com has subforums for each of the manufacturers of 22LR rifles, that include almost every 22 rifle that has been made. Each manufacturer is indexed so that the rifles (Shaving brushes?) that you are interested in is easily accessed. One just scrolls down the list and pick your choice. I would recommend that you take a look at that forum and let me know what you think. There may be better ways to design the Shaving Brush forum, but the Rimfirecentral forum is the one I am familiar with. I am looking forward to hearing your ideas. Doug Rosso

Great idea! With the combined knowledge (and pictures) of the B&B members, this compilation could turn into a wiki.:w00t:

Top Bottom