What's new

Re-using OS mugs

Does anyone refill empty Old Spice mugs with a new puck?
I've got 2 (both without lids) and was thinking about putting fresh soap in them. Will they suffer by being uncovered?

I'm re-using an old Surrey shaving mug I got off of ebay. The pucks made for wooden bowls have to be either chopped up or whittled down around the edges to fit. My mug doesn't have a lid either, but by pure coincidence I discovered that a plastic tub of Proraso soap fits perfectly in it, so I just plonk the proraso tub into the top of my mug when I'm not using it.

I've got two, a small one with a puck of Colonel Conks it in right now, and the larger size with two pucks of Williams and some slivers of VdH mashed down on them. I had a couple of differently sized ceramic coasters lying around which work fine as lids. Probably there's some some size of plastic lid for a food container which would work equally well.

There was a thread from a about a month ago, where people answered saying what soap "lives" in their Old Spice mug.

Mine is home to a puck of Tabac, which fit perfectly in the mug with no trimming. To keep dust off the soap, I have a peanut butter lid sitting on top of the soap. :tongue_sm

The only thing that may happen to an uncovered soap is some scent loss in the long term. I keep a couple of Arko Sticks mashed into one.

Hey, every wet shaver has to have at least one Old Spice mug with a well used soap in it.

I've just transferred the puck from my Wilkinson Sword soap into one mug. Needed a bit of trimming to fit....put some of the shavings in the bottom first and mashed the rest into the gaps at the top :001_smile
Looks a lot nicer than the blue bowl....although I've kept the lid for now, it sits on top (at a jaunty angle) and will squeeze down onto the mug. Tight fit getting it off again though :cursing: will raid SWMBO's tupperware stash later to see if anything fits better.

There are two basic types of Old Spice Mugs. The most common is the short and stubby milk glass (or, if from the 40s, ceramic) mug that contained the OS shaving puck when new - like this:Standard Old Spice Shaving Mug; there are also several coffee mugs with Old Spice logos, the most common of which is the Morning Refresher Mug with the Ship Grand Turk. There are other mugs very similar to the Morning Refresher that have, typically, birds painted on them and the Old Spice logo on the bottom, such as the Hartstone OS mug with ducks.

My experience is that pucks last longer without drying out in the larger coffee mugs; however, it's not at all difficult to rehydrate the pucks in the smaller mugs.

Now that I've answered your, "What time is it?" question with detailed instructions on how to build a watch, I'll give a more concise and direct answer:

The only way your soap puck might "suffer" from being left in an uncovered mug is if you don't use it often; then it will dehydrate. Adding some hot water a few minutes before lathering should rehydrate the soap just fine!

The only thing that may happen to an uncovered soap is some scent loss in the long term. I keep a couple of Arko Sticks mashed into one.

The WS soap I've just transferred doesn't have a very strong scent to start with. Have a deeper "edge" now so i shouldn't get soap everywhere....additionally, the mug will be easier to hold when loading my brush.

proxy.php

I stays full of Van der Spice and hasn't had a lid since my grandpa threw the lid away 30 years ago :biggrin:
Wp

I have four OS mugs in active use. I don't even worry about covering them. An OS mug is meant to be used....so put your favorite soaps in them....over and over and over.

I found this nasty old box, had a cheap wood veneer.

proxy.php

Lucky for me there is a mug inside, but it's got little cracks all over the glazing. I thought about chucking it along with the box, but I checked inside...

proxy.php

What luck! That little cardboard disc will fit right over the a puck of brand new Williams that I keep in a "Ziggy" mug I swiped from my sister's house.

I'm going to pry it off now, and pitch that old soap that's in there, but before I start I need to know what size screwdriver I should use to get that old soap out? Will I need a hammer, too?

proxy.php

See, this old mug is so screwed up the ship on the front of the box (I think it's the front, there are four more ships) is going opposite the ship on the mug.

I'll post some more pictures once I get this fixed.

yes. a hammer. big one.

I found this nasty old box, had a cheap wood veneer.

proxy.php

Lucky for me there is a mug inside, but it's got little cracks all over the glazing. I thought about chucking it along with the box, but I checked inside...

proxy.php

What luck! That little cardboard disc will fit right over the a puck of brand new Williams that I keep in a "Ziggy" mug I swiped from my sister's house.

I'm going to pry it off now, and pitch that old soap that's in there, but before I start I need to know what size screwdriver I should use to get that old soap out? Will I need a hammer, too?

proxy.php

See, this old mug is so screwed up the ship on the front of the box (I think it's the front, there are four more ships) is going opposite the ship on the mug.

I'll post some more pictures once I get this fixed.

You guys are the best!

I got out my Mario hammer and opted for a chisel...that funky old soap popped right out after about two good whumps, and my Williams in the Ziggy has a nice cardboard cover now.

The mug only got chipped a bit (well, that's why they make superglue, duh!)
and in the spirit of re-using OS mugs it's now a pencil holder and a home for my little buddy, Mr. Tongue Depressor.

Git-R-dun with B&B, that's what I always say!

proxy.php

Next time, I would suggest that you use some C-4. You don't have to worry about crazing in the glaze on the mug and, even better, the soap will already be whipped.

Nice score!

Next time, I would suggest that you use some C-4. You don't have to worry about crazing in the glaze on the mug and, even better, the soap will already be whipped.

Nice score!

Thanks, it's NOS from the late '30s I think...hast to be pre-WWII with the veneer box. At least it was NOS 'till Mr. Tongue Depressor needed a home.

Seriously, I've got Williams, Tabac, and vintage OS in my OS mugs, as well as using one as a razor holder. None, except the NOS mug, has any sort of a cover, and I haven't detected any drying or scent loss issues, although the vintage OS soaps I've run across have little left in the way of OS scent.

Must be a matter of years, rather than months.

Top Bottom