What's new

custom boars?

I know a lot of folks make great custom brushes with pure or silvertip badger knots, but are there any who make boar brushes, or offer the option?

Thx

I know someone had Rudy Vey make them a custom boar brush here recently. Any brush maker I'm sure would offer to do a boar brush. It's just setting a boar knot instead of a badger. But I'd shoot Rudy a pm. He does amazing work! :001_tt1:

I know someone had Rudy Vey make them a custom boar brush here recently. Any brush maker I'm sure would offer to do a boar brush. It's just setting a boar knot instead of a badger. But I'd shoot Rudy a pm. He does amazing work! :001_tt1:

+1. Great looking brushes. I don't own one, but Rudy's brushes sure do look nice!

-Andy

I don't see any reason why you couldn't request a custom boar brush from just about anyone that does custom brushes. It's really just a matter of setting a boar knot instead of a badger one.

I think one of my concerns is knot quality. There seems to be such big differences in the boar brushes I've tried, but without any grading system, all I can rely on when scoping a new one is feedback from others.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

True, I just made a customer in Norway a new handle for a beloved Boar knot he had and the handle given out. I must say, I was quite amazed about the knot, softness etc, and may now consider to try a boar myself.
It is not a big problem to make a custom handle for a boar knot. The availability of boar knots is a bit limited, but I believe TGN has a 24 mm boar knot and has or had some UK Boars - I have made brushes with both of them.

WOW - just saw this was my 1111 post!! Now, I have a drink on me....

Just wondering why you would even want a boar brush?

I like the stiffness of them. Previously I used boar because they were cheap and I was still trying out different things, but then I picked a higher quality one off ebay and it changed everything.

My badgers felt a little weak and floppy by comparison. I know disciples of the high-end badgers would protest that, but I'm not in a position to drop $100-300 on a brush (not yet anyhow.)

I shave my head + face, so the floppy aspect can be a pain. As far as custom...I just love the craftsmanship of so many of these woodworkers...plus I really like longer handles.

I am not sure why anyone would not want at least one. Boar brushes are different..not inferior. In many ways they have superior advantages to Badger...one being that a quality one will run you far less than a badger.

Boar is great, that's why. And I'm not even talking about price/quality ratio. Just don't depend on the VDH brush to be your baseline. A quality Semogue or Omega will do wonders. Then you can custom order one to your tastes, at what should still be a reasonable price.

Have you tried one..?? A good one..?? Come back once you have broken in a good knotted boar. My 1305 does wonders with both creams and soaps now that the hair ends have split! Soooo soft aswell!

Top Bottom