What's new

Allen Edmonds vs Alden: how do they fit?

so I think i'm gonna save my pennies and either get a pair of AE's or Alden's for my next dress shoe. However, I was wondering if any of you could tell me how they fit. are they pretty true to size or do they tend to fit bigger? I normally wear a 10M but don't want to wind up with a pair that feels too big on my feet. I think there might be a few dealers in town that sell AE & Alden, so I could conceivably go to these stores and try a few pairs on to get a feel for them.

you gotta try them on. There are so many different lasts and everyones foot is different. In general, AE run 1 size large on me. I wear 8 but my foot measures 9.

that's good to know. I'm leaning towards Alden - i'm wondering if their shoe sizes are like AE...maybe a size smaller than what I normally wear?

I like the Alden Straight Tip Blucher:

proxy.php

Notwithstanding the effects of different lasts, my experience is that Allen Edmonds runs pretty true to size, while Alden is about half a size larger than what's marked on the shoe.

Again, the last is extremely important in considering whether shoes from either manufacturer will properly fit you. Consequently, your comment about going to dealers to try on some different models is spot-on!

V

VR6ofpain

Notwithstanding the effects of different lasts, my experience is that Allen Edmonds runs pretty true to size
I agree. My foot measures an 11.5D on a Brannock Device, and I wear an 11.5D in AE shoes (as well as virtually every other shoe brand). I would say AE runs true to size. I only have purchased 2 other shoes in an 11, which fit. One was because I read they ran a half size big (I purchased online). Turned out the reviews were right, as 11 fit me perfect. The other shoe was a pair at a great price from Nordstrom Rack. They only had an 11, no 11.5's. I tried it on and realized that even though it was a tad tighter than normal, it still was comfy. I think this pair only worked since it was a loafer. If it were a lace up I would likely have run into problems.

I would suggest you go try them on also, at least for you first pair. I found that the AE were the same size for me in Alden.

As mentioned, some Alden last are larger.

You really need to try them on. And if you are doing mailorder, do not buy from anyone unless they will let you try on the shoes and then return them if they don't fit. For AE's I've found that buying through the AE Shoe Bank over the phone is good once I know what is likely to fit. It used to be that they would accept a return for sizing issues or if something was wrong with the shoes. Obviously, you couldn't return them after wearing them off the carpet. Definitely clarify their current return policy before trying to order there.

Even within the same manufacturer, you're probably dealing with different lasts from model to model and they are going to fit differently. I have four pairs of AEs and they all fit a little differently even though they are the same size (all on different lasts). There are some AE models that I can not wear at all because the lasts just don't work for my feet even if I change the width or whatever. In general, I think you will find you'll need to size down at least half a size with most good dress shoes compared to what you wear in say, running sneakers. For example, I wear a 9D in running shoes but take and 8.5D in AEs.

that's good to know. I'm leaning towards Alden - i'm wondering if their shoe sizes are like AE...maybe a size smaller than what I normally wear?

I like the Alden Straight Tip Blucher:

proxy.php
I have a similar shoe (not cap toe), and several other pair of Aldens as well. Aldens are pure awesomeness. AE do nothing but hurt my feet.

As for sizing, I find them true to size, pretty much, but it really depends on the last used for the particular shoe. One or two have run large for me, but most all have been spot on (I have tried on at least half of their line, living close to their SF store has its benefits). Alden uses a number of different lasts, and they all fit slightly differently. They also size the width of the heel slightly narrower on some models, which is a godsend. My advice is to find a shoe in their line that fits well, note the last, then buy a few pair that were constructed on that last.

Before I switched to Alden I had a return rate of about 40% on shoes--I could not ever seem to find a shoe that would break in comfortably. I have only returned one pair of Aldens in the last 15 years, and they gave me credit toward a new pair of shoes. This was after I had worn them for 6 months.

And if you are looking for a nice dress boot, you can't go wrong with the Indy Boot. I've had mine for almost 10 years and they are still going strong.

Last edited:
They fit pretty true to size, maybe a skosh roomier. I had to start buying AE because they can accommodate an "E" width, a recent gift of "maturing."

I haven't tried the Aldens, but the AEs are substantial shoes...much heavier (and more durable) than the usual department store designer brands.
You'll know you're wearing them, let's put it that way.

Even within the same manufacturer, you're probably dealing with different lasts from model to model and they are going to fit differently.

That's absolutely true. Some of my AEs and 10 1/2, some are 11.

They fit pretty true to size, maybe a skosh roomier. I had to start buying AE because they can accommodate an "E" width, a recent gift of "maturing."

Me to, except make that EEE. It's really hard to find nice shoes in wide sizes these days.

While I don't have a pair of Alden's and I have heard nothing but good things about them, I do have four pairs of AE (and counting) these are hands down the very best shoes in terms of fit, finish, durability and comfort that I have ever owned. Made here in the USA and with a fantastic policy for resoling and reconditioning.

I can't comment on Alden (wish they were available in Toronto) but I am quite happy with Allen Edmonds considering they make narrow widths. Being a B width makes for tricky shoe shopping in Canada where D width is considered the norm.

V

VR6ofpain

Being a B width makes for tricky shoe shopping in Canada where D width is considered the norm.
I believe D width is considered normal in all of North America. I believe the same width in the UK is an "F", which is also considered normal.

Top Bottom