What's new

flying with safety razor and blade in carry-on baggage

hi folks,

i've been able to fly with my merkur safety razor in my carry-on bag, but i've also been asked to dispose of the blade in my razor.

tsa's website reads that the following are not permitted in carry-on luggage:

"Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors."

i read that as saying that safety razors are excluded from this restriction.

what have your experiences been flying with a safety razor?

I would say it's a no-no... I did a search on the TSA website, and found this:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2002/press_release_0104.shtm

Items prohibited from aircraft cabins:

The following items will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. Please note that this list is not all-inclusive. In addition to items specifically listed here other items that may be deemed to present a potential threat may also be prohibited.
Razor blades (not in a cartridge)

I think by "safety razor" they mean a cartridge razor.

Let's face it, most people in airport check-in counters will have no idea what they hell they are.

'Comes up about every three months.

If you want a non-cartridge safety razor with you, put it (or, at least, its blades) in checked luggage.

Alternatively, mail a blade or two to your destination in advance.

Many of us revert to a cartridge razor for travel, the Trac II system being one of the more satisfying. Some people like Bic single blade sensitive disposable razors.

- Chris

I think by "safety razor" they mean a cartridge razor.

Let's face it, most people in airport check-in counters will have no idea what they hell they are.

It's not phrased as clearly as it could be, but I think they mean that the razors themselves are allowed (excluded from the restriction). The blades are restricted since they are loose. The blades in a cartridge are okay. At any rate, that's the way the TSA people at the gates actually enforce it. They have discovered my double edge razor in my carry-on, checked it for blades, and let me through.

If I'm ever in a situation where I can't mail my blades ahead, and don't know if I'll be able to buy replacements when I get there, I'll either pay extra to check a bag or just bring my old Atra for once.

If I'm ever in a situation where I can't mail my blades ahead, and don't know if I'll be able to buy replacements when I get there, I'll either pay extra to check a bag or just bring my old Atra for once.

last summer, i was visiting north carolina. i had driven down and had my merkur 180 along with a couple of extra blades.

from there, i flew up to toronto for the weekend with my razor and blades without issues.

flying back, security in toronto had me throw away the blades.

i made the mistake of buying some blades at the drug store where i was in north carolina. my face did not appreciate what i did to it.

I'm flying tomorrow. Carry on only. No blades! I was a bit over cautious and mailed my razors to my current location but am going to take a risk and carry the DE razors (again without any blades) in my carry on displaying and placing them in plain view in the plastic tray when I go through the detectors. If I loose my fat handled tech and long toothed new it will be unfortunate to say the least.

I'm flying tomorrow. Carry on only. No blades! I was a bit over cautious and mailed my razors to my current location but am going to take a risk and carry the DE razors (again without any blades) in my carry on displaying and placing them in plain view in the plastic tray when I go through the detectors. If I loose my fat handled tech and long toothed new it will be unfortunate to say the least.

I've never heard of the razors themselves being a problem, I certainly hope not!

I'm still debating myself, whether I'll just take a TracII or check a bag and include blades in it. If so, I'm planning to take a 100 yr. old Single Ring in my carry on, and would hate to think they'd take that!

I'm flying out Sunday for 'Vegas for a 3 day training. Whether I check a bag will mostly depend on whether I decide to do without a pistol and a pocket knife for the 3 days. Of course always unlikely to need the pistol, but that's a choice I'd rather not make when I can carry legally. And a pocket knife is something I never like to be without, it is just so useful in so many facets of life. And of course, that would facilitate being able to take a blade or two making the daily shave more enjoyable :thumbup1:.

I'm flying out Sunday for 'Vegas for a 3 day training. Whether I check a bag will mostly depend on whether I decide to do without a pistol and a pocket knife for the 3 days. Of course always unlikely to need the pistol, but that's a choice I'd rather not make when I can carry legally. And a pocket knife is something I never like to be without, it is just so useful in so many facets of life. And of course, that would facilitate being able to take a blade or two making the daily shave more enjoyable :thumbup1:.

Being without a pocketknife makes me feel uncomfortable. Being without my pistol makes me feel naked! Just be sure to double, triple and quadruple check the laws for carrying in both NV and vegas. Pretty sure the city/county there has some odd restrictions. Also, if you've never flown with a pistol, print out the TSA rules to bring with you to settle any TSA goon arguments. Doing the same for local laws on firearms including recipricocity if you're CCWing might be a good idea too.

Being without a pocketknife makes me feel uncomfortable. Being without my pistol makes me feel naked! Just be sure to double, triple and quadruple check the laws for carrying in both NV and vegas. Pretty sure the city/county there has some odd restrictions. Also, if you've never flown with a pistol, print out the TSA rules to bring with you to settle any TSA goon arguments. Doing the same for local laws on firearms including recipricocity if you're CCWing might be a good idea too.
Thanks, all good advice. I've flown with pistols many times (never an issue so far, more likely to encounter unknowing clerks at the counter that behave as scared sheep, but they just find a Supervisor who is in the know- the key there is being nonthreatening, and calmly telling them you need to "declare an unloaded firearm", never showing them until asked, avoiding words like "gun" or "pistol"). And knowing and complying with the laws.

As for LV local laws, the more convoluted ones I'm aware of deal with some suburbs, and carry in a vehicle for those NOT licensed to carry (perfectly legal by State law, in fact tacitly encouraged by Clark County, ie: LV Sheriffs dept, but illegal by local law in North Las Vegas, and certain odd restrictions about being unloaded/separated from ammo in Henderson and Boulder City.

I lived in the area temporarily a few years ago, but before Nevada recognized Michigan's license (or that of any other State for that matter).

I will check and review the local and State laws before I go though.

But enough of this hijack of the thread (sorry!), back to (not) flying with DE/SE blades in your carry on. While some have done it and gotten away with it, it's been more than shown to be something to be avoided. Never heard of anyone getting really jammed up over trying, but it could happen. And most often, if the screener's are doing their jobs, though as stated the rules could be clearer, it's pretty obvious that most would say no. So, just check them, mail them, buy them locally or go with a substitute. But don't try flying with them! (Your fellow travelers will appreciate not having to wait through the drama while the screeners sort out your shaving gear).

The term "safety razor" in the TSA rule seems to be what confuses most people. And people always want to interpret the ruling in their own favor. "Safety razor" refers to cartridge types and all other types of safety razors. In the case of DE, injector, and SE types it refers to the razor without the blade being loaded in it. The blades are specifically prohibited. Cartridges are specifically allowed.

last summer, i was visiting north carolina. i had driven down and had my merkur 180 along with a couple of extra blades.

from there, i flew up to toronto for the weekend with my razor and blades without issues.

flying back, security in toronto had me throw away the blades.

You really don't want to do that again. Read on...

Thanks for that link, it more clearly lists what is allowed and what is not. I want to direct everyone to the following that is also on that page:
Passengers should be aware that there are no provisions for returning banned items to them when they are left at the security checkpoint. In addition those who attempt to bring banned items through the checkpoints are subject to civil penalties of up to $1 100 per violation in addition to criminal penalties.

I'm not sure about the monetary amount referred to there, but it is the risk that makes it not worth trying to bring blades on board. It's only shaving after all. And consider this. Once you do get past the checkpoint with your blades, you are now in a secured area with what is considered a weapon.

I'm not sure about the monetary amount referred to there, but it is the risk that makes it not worth trying to bring blades on board. It's only shaving after all. And consider this. Once you do get past the checkpoint with your blades, you are now in a secured area with what is considered a weapon.

yeah - the last couple of trips, i've decided to let the stubble grow. i was in india for a week in late october and in california for a weekend earlier this month - no biggie.

i understand how a razor blade could be used as a weapon, which is sad indeed.

it's easy to mock the situation and say that, well, you could also use a steel spoon or knife that they provide with your meal as a weapon. but that doesn't solve anything.

and the fact of the matter is that a lot of the policy decisions that are made in a reactionary way. someone uses blades as a weapon so we ban blades. someone hides a bomb in their shoe and we have people take off their shoes and send them through the x-ray as they go through security. someone hides a bomb in their underpants and we are talking about implementing body scanners.

so if tomorrow, someone smashes their laptop over someone's head, they'll likely ban laptops in the cabin. or if someone brings a bomb onto a train, they'll have security checkpoints at train stations.

i don't have a solution. i know it's not a simple matter. i feel bad for the people who have to make the tough decisions and find some balance between safety and moving about in a normal way when traveling.

it's a screwed up world.

at least we can enjoy a good shave in the comfort of own homes!

I've had little trouble getting empty DE razors through security. A few times I've been pulled aside and usually ask - with a smile - if they want to see my razor. They usually say yes, so keep it in an area that's easy to get out. Take it out and say that you know the blades aren't allowed, and that you're planning to buy some when you get there. I've never had a problem.

I've had little trouble getting empty DE razors through security. A few times I've been pulled aside and usually ask - with a smile - if they want to see my razor. They usually say yes, so keep it in an area that's easy to get out. Take it out and say that you know the blades aren't allowed, and that you're planning to buy some when you get there. I've never had a problem.

lol! yes, someone else on the forum also mentioned to just pull it out to show as you go through security.

How bad are the walmart DE blades? I've never tried them but they seem to be all over the nation. Figured if I had to travel i'd just bring the razer and find blades.

And yeah, it's a very safe assumption that they mean no razer blades. If you can't bring toenail clippers then I highly doubt they want you wielding something that could be a whole lot more dangerous.

On a recent flight my blades were all grabbed by the TSA. Going out I had remembered to pack them in the checked luggage, but coming back I forgot and I had to go through the "special treatment" drill.

I would say your best bet is to mail yourself some blades. The better idea would be to research your destination for any good shave shops where you could pick up some more gear including razor blades. Anything you don't use just mail them to your home address before departing.

Last edited:
I've flown with my DEs in my carry-on several times with no problems--I just always make sure that there are no blades anywhere in its vicinity (always in my checked baggage). The worst that I have gotten is "What's this?" To which I replied, "My razor, but it doesn't have any blades." I could definitely see some people getting confused though. That said, I recently discovered an easy solution for shaving when travelling with just carry-on: I just take this guy instead :wink2:

Last edited:
Top Bottom