What's new

Blade Angle - some help for newbies

Does picture 6 work well and glide for the Gillette Tech and Fatip piccolo/grande?
From what I've read, picture 6 (shallow angle) would work well with the Tech:
$Shallow Angle.jpg
and steep angle better with the Fatip open combs:
$Steep Angle.jpg

In my experience with my beloved Fatip Piccolo... steep is the way. :thumbup1:

... and digressing for a moment, do come and join us at the Piccolo Lovers' Club. :001_wub:

$169.gifI think I figured out a gimmick to train myself to hold it at the right angle.

1. Place the razor head against the mirror (if you have one mounted on the wall or medicine cabinet) as if you were going to shave the glass, and look at it from the side.
  2. Find the head and handle angle that resembles photo #6. (If the blade is absent, you can rock it up and down, hearing a click as either the head or bar touches the glass.)
  3. Now find a grip such that you can hold it safely at that angle, but stick a spare finger (for me it was the middle finger) out straight until it just touches the mirror. You may have to hold it closer to the head for the time being.
  4. Now you have a triangular brace to maintain that angle on any flat surface.
  5. Without altering your grip, move to a relatively flat area of your face, like just below a cheek bone, or wherever.
  6. Reproduce that triangle with the head of the razor and the extended finger as a brace, touching your skin.
  7. This should reproduce the same angle that you had on the mirror.
  8. Make a stroke or three, and see how it goes. Don't go off the edge of you chin, or go sideways on your neck, because the extended finger brace will dip down, changing the head angle.
  9. Now try your normal grip without the extended finger brace, paying attention to the angle at the point of contact with your skin and adjusting as you go over the hills and valleys.
I'm going to try this tonight and see if I get better results than usual.

Top Bottom