What's new

Blade Angle - some help for newbies

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is an excellent post, and ought to be a sticky.
Thanks for your work in putting it together.
I have this page bookmarked as a reference when I give advice to noobs about shaving angle.
They are truly right when they say that a picture is worth a 1000 words, and you've got about 8000 right there!

Great pics! Im definately a 4-5 noob right now. Ill get there. Im going to work on the ange of the dangle tomorrow. Wait a minute thats not it!:w00t:

Should this be a sticky? Indeed!!!

Did I learn from this? Indeed!!!

Will I save this thread for future reference? Indeed!!!

What did I learn from this?

- That the difference between scraping the skin and actually gliding over it, is very small. I've been experiencing a little bit of scraping syndromes, and will definitely pay more attention to my angle. I thought I had it!

PS! I tried to be a question-talker. It just didn't feel like me, you know?

Thanks so much for the informative post, I'm still having trouble with my blade angle but hopefully this will help point me in the right direction!

Thank you. Great help to us newbies, the difference from one shave to the next was impressive. Compaq is correct the difference between skin scraping and sking gliding is small but what a difference!!!

For those of us who are new to DE shaving, I would suggest going at it BACKWARDS from 8 to 1 to establish a good shaving angle. Start on the curved part of the top and gradually rotate down to establish contact with your face. I think we would all rather err on the side of being closer to 8 than the other way around!

I went home and tested out my razor/blade angle after seeing this. Being able to visualize the angle this way has greatly increased the quality of my shaves. Now, I can just feel the razor gliding across my face without any resistance or even hearing the hairs cut.

Good job and thanks for the pix!

Yeah...this needs to be a sticky.....people giving advice on angle speak in angle degrees, and bars vs. razor heads...it all gets lost in translation - the only way to advise someone on angle is through visualization...this is necessary....and helped me.

+1 again. I've been experimenting with various razors and looking closely at how different razor heads hold the blade at different angles against the skin. This post is a great visual reference!

Great post. I think it also underlines the importance of using no pressure. For example, number 4 shows the blade making no contact with the skin. However, an inexperienced shaver will apply enough pressure to force the blade to reach the skin. As you can see in the ideal angle photo, no pressure is needed for the blade to glide over the skin.

Thanks so much for the informative post,
Scott

Top Bottom