What's new

Gendarme V, Gendarme 20

I'm mostly familiar with Gendarme 20 which I own/use. It's got a lavender note. Gendarme V has a vetiver note.

I'm not the authority on his line, but they probably all smell quite similar to original Gendarme in much the way a lot of Creeds have that amerbergirs kind of thing going on. But Gendarme is a cologne strength. I think V is EdT and 20 is EdP.

While well liked generally, Gendarme original is critiqued a lot for very little longevity.

The "20" I believe is the most potent from a standpoint of strength. I like it a lot as a hot weather scent.

They're all very inoffensive and seem to be liked by a lot of politicians if the stories are true. I can see why. It's clean, fresh, soapy. Won't **** anybody off. The owner/creator runs his own store/spa in West Hollywood. I met him and he basically created Gendarme to be somewhat hypo allergenic. He has tons of allergies to usual fragrance notes.

The spin on "20" is that is smells a like fresh pressed shirt. Very clean; crisp; light.

Last edited:
Thanks. I used to wear the original quite often, and my wife really liked it, but I just got sick of it after a while. I'm thinking of trying out one of the other two, although maybe I'd be better off waiting for warmer weather.

They could be worn anytime I guess...I just don't like that kind of light, fresh scent so much in winter myself. The V might have more bite. I notice my corner drugstore has a bottle of V... I'll give it a sniff.

I had Gendarme before. I always thought it smelled like Ivory soap.

(No offense intended for anyone with what I am about to say...)

I always found it funny that a cologne with a French name smelled like soap. Y'know the stereotype of the French bathing once a week whether they needed ot or not!

Speaking of soap, Gendarme makes one of the best bath bar soaps I've ever used. Fantastic stuff. Three standard size bars for $20.

I'd use it more, but I fear it would conflict with other scents (other than Gendarme).

Top Bottom