What's new

Started with Merkur 34C, now ready for a more aggressive razor

My first razor was a Merkur 34C, I can get great shaves with it, but if I want to get the ultra BBS shave, I have to make like 4 passes and touch ups which leaves my face very raw and irritated. So I am ready to move on to a more agressive Merkur razor. What would you recommend, a Merkur 37C Slant? or an 11C?

Will the slant be awkward going against the grain?

It hasn't been for me. I actually do TWO passes against the grain. One with my cheeks puffed out like Dizzy Gillespie and another with my mouth wide open. Under my chin can be a little tricky. I just have to be sure I'm using a very light touch. Holding the razor so that it just barely touches the skin.

I know it must be my individual technique but for me the slant is the most natural razor to use. With all the others the whole blade angle thing seemed to be hit and miss, particularly with the curved head of the Merkur HD. The geometry of the head on the slant seems to naturally provide the correct blade angle. Maybe it's just me. I tired the Merkur Hd, superspeeds (two varieties) slim, fat boy, tech, super adjustable and finally settled on the slant. I've used almost nothing else over the past year.

Can't go wrong with a slant. I also have an 11C I like but some folks around here believe the 11C is "mild". I think an 11C is aggressive - but YMMV.

But again - I don't think you can go wrong with a slant.

Since "raw and irritated" was part of your concern I would suggest a Futur. You can crank it up to 6 and be very aggressive (i.e. slant) and back it down for each pass to find the level of comfort that doesn't generate the irritation you have found with other razors. Just my opinion.

I started with a 34c also, moved on to an 11c, haven't worked myself up to a slant yet though. I do love the gillette super speeds though, you should think about giving it a try. It would probably be cheaper and if you don't like it I'm sure someone would be happy to take it off your hands.

Since "raw and irritated" was part of your concern I would suggest a Futur. You can crank it up to 6 and be very aggressive (i.e. slant) and back it down for each pass to find the level of comfort that doesn't generate the irritation you have found with other razors. Just my opinion.

I am going to second this raw and irritated thing. If this is happening after only four passes, I don't know if you really want a super aggressive razor. I use the Merkur open combs and I like them a lot. They are definitely less aggressive than the old school Gillette's on #9, but they don't tear up my face and I usually require four passes. So an adjustable or open comb might be a good move.

My poblem is that my skin gets irritated easily when I start going XTG on my jaawline and neck (on the 2nd or 3rd pass), and I still have stubble. In order to get completely BBS I really have to get raw with my skin.

I would suggest the 11c. Very thorough, but the handling is very similar to the HD.
But if you have redness issues, I'd suggest you forget about BBS for a while. Trying to get there is one of the main causes for redness and irritation imo. Settle for DFS and see where it gets you.
The Slant takes care of everything in my experience, but there is a certain learning curve involved.
The Futur can do everything, but it needs an experienced hand. Works well with most blades and is at the same time very aggressive and very smooth.

I would suggest the 11c. Very thorough, but the handling is very similar to the HD.
But if you have redness issues, I'd suggest you forget about BBS for a while. Trying to get there is one of the main causes for redness and irritation imo. Settle for DFS and see where it gets you.
The Slant takes care of everything in my experience, but there is a certain learning curve involved.
The Futur can do everything, but it needs an experienced hand. Works well with most blades and is at the same time very aggressive and very smooth.

+1 on the Futur. Plus you can adjust the agressiveness as you go. I also like the Progress, but I had mine converted to a Mergress. Probably my favorite razor.

I am interested to see where this conversation goes as well. I have been contemplating the same things as the OP... 37c or 11c, moving from a 34c. My brother had 34c and 37c so I got him the 11c as a Christmas gift, just so he could try something different, and he reports that he doesn't ever use the 34c or 37c anymore, just the 11c. We both have course beards. He finds the 11c with a Feather blade to be a good combination for him.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Keep the conversation going... there are other who are interested and contemplating the same things.

Top Bottom