What's new

Primer with a traditional cream?

I believe a long time ago, Mr Roberts advocated the use of a Trumpers cream (now replaced by paste, cutting balm, activator etc), and taught guys to 'build the mix' with a big badger brush.

Does anybody still do this? It seems to me CR's Eureka moment was discovering that 'da cube' had amazing qualities when combined with a product that would lather.

This would appeal to me a lot more than using an entire line up of method specific stuff (and i just really like using a brush :blush: ) - any of you chaps do something similar?

Hello surprised no one has replied. I have all the method shaving products but no trumpers cream do you know of any place that may sell trumpers cream near charllote nc pineville nc? If so I will experiment for you and let you know the results.

May need to add the clay cutting paste.

Thanks Steve O

I do this on occasion when I want the slickness of a method shave, want to use the cube, but want something that does not smell like the cube. Used the cube and activator with some Floris Elite Cream the other day. ALso have used it with Grafton and Trumpers Lime. Not as slick as using the paste, but I do think it improves on the shave. It is hard to get it to buffer as well as I like with the paste, but it still use as part of my rotation.

I do know that Charles has recommended NOT mixing Hydrolast stuff with commercial products. If you are curious, try it.

The only issue I have heard with other products is that they are not all natural and may not perform as well. I enjoy experimenting. Some work, some don't. To me, it is a great form of "super lather" that you see in other forum posts. Mix a little activator and you get an uber lather of sorts.

I find the "all-natural" term to be nebulous. It seems to have become a common belief that it equates with "better", which isn't necessarily true.

Top Bottom