What's new

lavender shave soap smells better than lavender body soap

I've noticed that my TOBS shave soap in lavender smells soooo much better than any of the lavender-scented body soaps that I have at home. The body soaps have a much stronger, kinda spicy smell, for lack of a better term. The TOBS shave soap has a sweeter smell.

Anyone know why? Is the lavender in TOBS special? It's always difficult to figure out how lavender is different because every soap manufacturer web site I check always talks about how their lavender is 'special'... maybe from France, or England, or organic, or something else.

Honestly, after smelling the AoS Lavender shave cream, I can't tell where the lavender is supposed to be in any of the lavender TOBS products. It's purple I guess... but in comparison I find it smells too much like candy.

it could be the type of lavender EO used, too. there is lavender 30/32, lavender 40/42, and i've even seen lavandin substituted for lavender.

here is a list of lavender from one place i reference for prices:

Lavender 40/42% France
Lavender 40/42% Stara Planina
Lavender Hungary
Lavender Lnp Oregon
Lavender Moldova
Lavender Oregon
Lavender Pure 40/42% France
Lavender Russia
Lavender Spike Spain

in addition, strength will vary the scent, as well.

Interestingly, AoS and TOBS are both straight EO scented, and made at the same factory.

I'm pretty certain that these soaps are not produced in the same factory. I just checked my boxes for each and the Taylor's is made in England while AOS is made in Italy (by Valobra). They are actually two different kinds of soap I believe. The Taylor's being a true triple-milled soap while AOS is a pour soap like Tabac. They are both essential oil fragranced but AOS is different in that the soap itself imparts a strong scent which interferes with the lavender a bit and the Taylor's smells a lot more like real English Lavender (at least to my nose). In fact the Taylor's reminds me a lot of Atkinson's English Lavender cologne.

The only thing these two soaps have in common is that their teak bowls are sourced from the same provider. I noticed that as well when I got my soaps but I don't find that surprising as it's been reported that Taylor's likes to save money on production costs so sharing a commonality with another company may serve that.

Chris

Top Bottom