What's new

Marines--Sound Off!

The sailors and airmen have been checking in. Now let's hear it from the Leathernecks! How about final rank, MOS, dates of service and duty stations. Add anything else motivating. I'll start off.

Rank & MOS: Captain-0302
Active duty: 1983-1990
Duty Stations:
OCS/TBS/IOC, 1983-1984
Second Battalion, Fifth Marines, 1984-1986
Platoon Commander, Company G
XO, Company E
Guard Officer, Marine Detachment, USS Midway (CV-41) 1986-1988
Platoon Commander & Instructor, OCS, 1988-1990

I was also fortunate enough to serve with I 3/25 in the 4th Marine Division from 1991-1993.

Semper Fi!

Urrrrrr! Kill! Marine Corps!

Sergeant, 5953 (ATC radar technician)
2001-06...among the last companies to graduate PI in the old cammies before they started issuing the digitals.

'01-'03: A/C schools @ NAS Pensacola
'03-'04: MACS-4, Det. A, MCAS Futenma, Okinawa
'04-'06: MACS-1, Det. C, MCAS Yuma, AZ

Deployed to Karshi-Khanabad Airbase, Uzbekistan '03-'04 and Al-Asad, Iraq '05-'06.

Rank & MOS: Gunnery Sergeant, 6122, 6135, 6035, 8563, and the dreaded 8411
Active duty: 1987-2007
Duty Stations: MCRD San Diego, CA
Tustin, CA
Okinawa, Japan
Jacksonville, NC
El Toro, CA
San Diego, CA
Ohio and Pennsylvania.

I spent most of my time in California. Wasn't stationed anywhere really exciting other then Japan, but I did get to visit, mainland Japan, The Philippines and Korea. I went to Korea for Team Spirit, It was interesting. I got sent to Korea on very short notice to trouble shoot two T-58-GE-16 jet engines. When I went to Marine Corps property, they didn't have any cold weather gear for me, or the L/Cpl going with me. Korea is !%#$ cold in February with out a coat.

Best job? Marine Combat Instructor of Water Survival. Very rewarding, the school is a challenge though.

True Slagle. For the non-USA viewer, (ie, myself) what is MOS and the numbers. Might be good to include the (table of jobs I'm guessing) herein.

True Slagle. For the non-USA viewer, (ie, myself) what is MOS and the numbers. Might be good to include the (table of jobs I'm guessing) herein.

Since I know most of our American Marine friends are sleeping...

MOS = Military Occupation Specialties Both the US Army and US Marines classify their job specialties as MOS's. In the USAF we call them AFSC or Air Force Specialty Code.

Here is a little information on both Army and Marine Corp MOS, Air Force AFSC and Naval Ratings and the Enlisted Classification System.

Ah, I missed Rob's post while I was daydreaming!

It's all good brother! :lol:

I know what you mean about MOS changes though. My AFSC changed shortly after I joined and it is different than my Father's was and he did the same job (though 24 years earlier).

I too am surprised some of the MOS listings have changed. My 0311 - rifleman stays the same but they don't even list my 8651 which was - recon man.

I checked my records and I had a third MOS 8131 - Brig.

Man, it's grunt city around here - cmon, there has to be another winger somewhere, right? I don't wanna be the only pogue! heh

Doh....I read your post because I noticed the WSQ bit, but somehow it escaped me that you were a winger.

Doh....I read your post because I noticed the WSQ bit, but somehow it escaped me that you were a winger.

Not WSQ, MCIWS they are totally different things. Getting the MCIWS secondary MOS involves going to a formal school and getting certified, then you have to re-certify every three years.

Cpl. / 2531, 5711

1985-1991
Duty Stations:

Twenty Nine Palms, CA
Quantico, VA

Current Chaplain, Marine Corps League, Det. 597

Whoops, missed this thread the first time through!

Active duty Marine 1977-1981
MOS 6635 (I think, they changed the number system just before I got out) -- KC-130 electrical/instrument/autopilot tech
Mostly Cherry Point, NC, but did a 6-month squadron TAD to MCAS Futenma, Okinawa

Spent the Saturday before the Marine Corps' birthday at a ceremony at the local VFW -- Marines present included TWO Iwo Jima vets, a vet from the battle for Okinawa, SEVEN Korean War vets, and even a Beirut Marine. My kind of heroes, so I tried to stay back and out of the way!

Top Bottom