What's new

Classic Shaving vs. Method Shaving? Need advice.

I've been reading up on Method Shaving and I think I'm gonna give it a go. I have a few questions that I need clearing up and some opinions would be nice.

I've seen all the products and how do they stand up to lets say the three t's or penhaligons?

How do you find the shaving differs?

It's recommended using a DE whereas I exclusively use a straight, can I achieve as good if not a better shave using a straight?

What is the difference in the result of the finished shave?

Many thanks B&Bers.

I will be interested to read the responses of the others, as I have to this point considered method shaving to be an overpriced gimmick. :001_rolle

I also appreciate variety way too much to ever consider going down the Method Shaving road. :tongue_sm

I don't method shave anymore but I do know there are a number of them out here, many of which shave with straights. Most notably, is msandavol. I'd pm him if you have any questions about using a straight with method shaving.

IMHO, I'd consider regular classic shaving to be the much better way to go. But please, that's me, and YMMV.

You could give the method shave a try and see how you like it. Always keep in mind that you have to try something to see if its for you. What the hey, if you don't like it you can always go back to the "old" way.

Take this with a grain of salt as I've only been DE shaving for a month or so and it's been a roller coaster ride.

The last two weeks I've been method shaving with the exception of overnights out of town. I can honestly say that method shaving does give me a closer shave and results in a very hydrated face. Initially, it takes a while to get down the sequence of steps. However, I think it needs to be described as complex, but not complicated (got that from someone else, but it makes sense). I can now method shave faster than traditional DE shaving and that's just after a few weeks.

Cost? Depends. If you get everything like I did, you're looking at a $130 investment. However, not everyone wants or needs the conditioner (although that is my favorite product in the line) or tonic spray (don't know if that really does much for me, but I like the scent - sage). But here's the bright side - the stuff really lasts and lasts! I haven't made a dent in the products in the couple of weeks I've been using them.

The other bright side is that you can continue to use the products even if you decide to go back to traditional shaving (ex. condition would take the place of your ASB).

FTR, I use Art of Shaving and L'Occitane when I'm travelling. I know those aren't GREAT products, but they're serviceable. I'm on the road now and miss my Method Shaving products more than I thought I would.

I am curious how I'll feel about this in a month or so. I'll follow up then.

I will be interested to read the responses of the others, as I have to this point considered method shaving to be an overpriced gimmick. :001_rolle

I also appreciate variety way too much to ever consider going down the Method Shaving road. :tongue_sm

I have these same feelings, but I still planning on trying them out.

One more thing...the BIGGEST difference is in how my skin feels after the shave. I don't know if it's because of the conditioner or the products before the conditioner or the tonic or a combination of all, but my skin takes on the feel of almost, well, velvet. I know that sounds weird, but it really is a different feel than any other product I've tried (Baxter, L'Occitane, AOS, Jack Black, etc.). It's a soft, smooth feel. I'm talking about the skin itself even when I didn't get a really close shave with my first few tries of Method Shaving, so I know it's the products and not the shave itself.

I've been reading up on Method Shaving and I think I'm gonna give it a go. I have a few questions that I need clearing up and some opinions would be nice.
This is my experience with it so far. I visited the shop not to long ago and went through the clinic bit. It was an experience for sure. I posted all that in a different thread. I went in after trying some left over product a friend. This resulted in just me making a mess as I wasn't getting the process to where I liked it. The clinic fixed that up for me. In other words, you will end up with the product but you'll need to practice a little making a mix that works for you.

I've seen all the products and how do they stand up to lets say the three t's or penhaligons?
I am not sure a direct comparison is fair in this case. The process of making the lather is slightly different so it. Method shaving you have your soap and you are adding the 'cutting balm', which is basically olive oil plus ingredients he chooses. Nice thing about this is that the mix of soap to balm can vary depeding on person. For example at the clinic when I bought my cutting balm, he mixed it there on the spot and made me a 'Winter' mix. It's kinda citrusy, nice scent.

This versus a shave soap which would already be blended.

The bad thing could be that one day your mix could be your 3 T's or Penhaligon's or you could end up with Williams. As mentioned before it takes a little practice to get what you want from that process, be it with the shave cloth or a brush. I didn't say which because that is something the user needs to experiment with.

How do you find the shaving differs?
The shaves, after getting the Method process going for myself, doesn't really differ. Using the different forms with Method or plain ol' shaving for me is the same.

It's recommended using a DE whereas I exclusively use a straight, can I achieve as good if not a better shave using a straight?
You are using straight razors, so I don't know how the 'forms' translate. I can't say I have the experience with the straight to give you an accurate answer. Hopefully someone can and will.

What is the difference in the result of the finished shave?
Method shaving, for me, was slightly smoother and a glossier finish.

I can add on more, but I am hungry and about to head out to lunch. Hope this kinda helps. This is my own experience with the Method shaving ordeal.

For me, I get a much better shave with the Hydrolast products and Method technique.

I don't find the forms complex at all, the method merely puts common sense structure around the randomness of my old style of getting the whiskers off of my face. The gradual reduction via the forms versus my old way of getting as much off as possible per whack takes a lot of the stress out of shaving for me.

The products? My face loves them when used in the most simple way - primer/soap with cutting balm and then paste. It's not complex, you're just making your own cream with components directly in your brush or cloth and on your face. The products do exactly what they advertise. They leave my face smooth as silk, hydrated better than anything else in my life, and protected from the blade I just drug over my skin.

If I use a standard cream a la my tube of Musgo Real in a brush or even with my cloth, I get a decent shave, but have to be much more careful, slower, and reapply at least one more time than if I use the Hydrolast. My face will also be dry and flaking by the end of the day.

If I use my brush and a Conk's bay rum or almond puck, I can make a sweet silky lather, put it up, and then shred my face if I use the same speed and forms as my normal method method, even reapplying between each pass. It just somehow doesn't remotely come close to protecting and hydrating my face.

So in my limited experience, it works for me. I get an incredible shave and my face feels the best it has in my entire shaving life with the stuff.

Thus, I don't really care if Charles is wacky, uses his own vocabulary, and disses some products and methods. I don't think the forms are at all complex, frankly, I believe they simplify the process... but I'm a process guy anyway...

So YMMV, but it totally works for me.:biggrin1:

Charles is a great guy! His shop is a definite go-to when you're in Austin.
I tried method shaving for a few months, but eventually gave it up in favor of traditional shaving. I was getting great shaves, but not any better than with normal soaps/creams. Also I love the variety of choosing different scents for each shave!

Top Bottom