What's new

Shaving cream ingredients

I know others are interested in the ingredients used in shaving creams, so I thought it might be useful to try and collect that information all in one thread. Please feel free to add products below.

Proraso - Eucalyptus & Menthol
Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalytpus Globulus Leaf Oil, Menthol, Parfum (Fragrance), Amyl Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Eucalyptol, Boric Acid, Camphor, PEG-150 Distearate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate, BHT.

Mugso Real
Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Potassium Silicate, Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Extracto de Hamamelia), Simondsla Chinensis, Alcohol, Menthol, CI 77007, CI 19140.

Speick
Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba, Potassium Myristate, Cetyl Palmitate, Sodium Myristate, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Fragrance, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Silicate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Cl 15985, Limonene, Linalool.

TOBS - Almond
Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Benzaldehyde, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

TOBS - Avocado
Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Parfum, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Persea Gratissima, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 19140.

TOBS - Jeremyn Street
Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide, Bisabolol.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just a quick note: Taylors Avocado now is "paraben free".
The ingredients you listed for this cream belong to the older version.
I think TOBS wants to slowly change the formulation of all their creams making them "paraben free".

Last edited:
Check out this site:
http://www.codecheck.info/
It has lots of products there. A slight inconvenient is that the site is in german!
But you can see the ingredients of lots of products.
And also there is Google Translate:thumbup1:!
Ohh and you can probably add products that are not yet there, input the ingredients and you get the product analysed.

Just a quick note: Taylors Avocado now is "paraben free".
The ingredients you listed for this cream belong to the older version.
I think TOBS wants to slowly change the formulation of all their creams making them "paraben free".

how many years were these products NOT paraben free? how many people were adversely affected?

(not poking at you, Marco, just irritated by what would seem to me as another marketing ploy by manufacturers of soap products)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
how many years were these products NOT paraben free? how many people were adversely affected?

(not poking at you, Marco, just irritated by what would seem to me as another marketing ploy by manufacturers of soap products)

I totally agree with your point of view, we are on the same line.
It's a shame for cream manufacturers to start making paraben free products "only now".

Personally, I just put the ingredients in the review section when I write a review. Since formulas can change, the date of the review should reflect what was available at that time, unless of course you get old stock.

What a great proposal Aussieshaver--- hopefully, it will become a sticky in this section.

My only real concern is the accuracy (or better put, inaccuracies) of the ingredient labels. A recent case in point are the inaccuracies I found with the Institut Karite cream packaged in the metal foil tube. The ingredient listing on the box said one thing, while that on the actual tube was quite different. When I contacted IK for clarification, they provided me with yet a 3rd ingredient listing, and no explanation/clarification of the listings on the tube and the carton. I detailed this in a post earlier this month: [ http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125432 ]

As consumers, we are at the mercy of the manufacturers and their desire to establish and preserve their reputations. IK seemed to have all the cachet of a reputable firm, but I for one now choose to use products of other companies who have a real track record to preserve.

Top Bottom